Doe in heat, then not in heat?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by mnspinner, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    A customer who bought a doe kid from me last year (she lives 75 miles away) brought her here twice for stud service. This doe is almost a year old. She's a good size, well ready for breeding.
    The first time, 3 weeks ago, the owner called me in the morning, said she was flagging like crazy, the other does mounting her. (she does not have a buck). She got her here late afternoon, and I bring her to my buck. No flagging, not interested in him. He gives her a couple lip smacks, but is not interested. I try my other buck, same thing. We both figure she went out of heat by the time she got here. Yet the owner says once she got home she started flagging again and into the next day.
    Okay, we set up for next cycle. Three weeks later, the owner reports again, the doe flagging like crazy, is swollen, the other does mounting her. This time she brings her right away. Once again, same thing. Not flagging, no interest in the bucks, they have no interest in her.
    I don't get this. Maybe this doe is getting here too early? That maybe she's not coming into standing heat yet? But I've put many a doe in heat that wasn't in standing heat yet and my bucks were still interested.
    Is it possible the stress of the trip is somehow affecting her? She was shivering a bit, but otherwise did not appear that uncomfortable. Why would she be flagging like crazy one minute, and absolutely nothing the next? Any thoughts?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is there a way to let her stay with you for a few days? She might not like "watchers" :ROFL:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It must have something to do with being moved and then being around new surroundings, people, and goats. I think the only way she'll get bred is if she stays with you and gets comfortable with everything.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Mia was certainly in standing heat when I took her from her pen -- got her to the buck and she wanted to run from him. I had her on the leash and had to sort of hold her to get the breeding done. I know she was in standing heat -- she just needed time to get comfortable, but I didnt have that time.

Can she borrow a buck from you? the doe maybe more interested on her own home terf then being carted off somewhere to a strange place.

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    With my very limited knowledge I'm agreeing with the others that she is probably stressing out over the traveling. My breeder insisted on keeping my doe for 2 to 3 days to let her feel more comfy in the new surroundings. My doe is now very obviously pregnant so it worked for me.

The other doe I have I had to bring the buck here to breed. I kept him for a month to make sure she was bred (silent heats) - she's getting fatter also so I believe it worked too.

6. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I can understand the doe stressing out, but would that affect the bucks not being interested? They give her a good sniff but that's it. I've had a few outside does here that cried bloody murder over being bred, but that did not stop the bucks from trying.