Doe in heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RPC, Aug 23, 2010.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am still new at trying to figure out if/when my does are in heat. My 2 oldest does (3 and 5yrs) are in with the buck right now the 3 year old has a white creamy discharge and I am wondering if she is beginning to go into heat? She is still not wanting the buck around her so maybe by tomorrow or the next day? My buck is finally starting to act a little bucky and has started smelling there rear ends so i am happy. He is a January Buckling and I was getting worried he was too young. I just hope we get babies for the fair next year. Thanks for all you input in advance.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    usually that discharge indicates the end of a heat cycle. But each doe is different.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

OK so if this was indeed the end of her heat cycle and she has the discharge that means she did not get pregnant correct?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no it doesnt mean she didnt get pregnant just means its the end of her cycle

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

O ok thanks I need to go out soon and take some before pictures so in November I can do some pooch tests.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am new to breeding too, and I remember this discharge. 2 of my does had it when they were bred. One of them was bred once or twice, had the discharge off and on, and then she was all over the buck a day or two later, and had the discharge.
    The other doe never showed any interest in the buck, but he was all over her - following her around with his tongue out, and sweet talking her <LOL>. My husband ended up having to hand breed her, so we aren't sure if she took, but she hasn't come back into heat yet but if she didn't take she'd be coming into heat any time now.

If your boy is turned out with the does and no one is home watching them all the time, then chances are, they could have done the deed when no one was watching. I remember when our does were bred, it didn't take long at all, and once he was done, that was it, he had no interest in them anymore. I'm sure the first time he bred our older doe she wasn't really 'ready' but she sure was after that LOL

Good luck! I know how you feel, we are hoping for some fair goats for our kids next summer too! If these girls took they'd be due at the end of the year. Our fair is early in June, so spring kids would be pushing it as far as size, how much time between weaning-fair.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    When my does start trying to climb in with the buck, I figure they're ready. Watch for that tail wagging.