doe in labor need some help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok I have lillies progress in kidding koral, but a new thing has occurred that I am a bit stumped on. ok she is bloated to high heaven. All I have given her was some molasses water to keep her going while she was in labor, and she hasent drank allot, gave her some red raspeberry leaves to help bring milk in and her normal grassy alfalfa. And she is bloated! She has had red raspberry leaves before and not a problem. One more thing that has happened is that her throat latch seems to be swollen. I kinda noticed it last night, this morning was a little bigger, and just within the last couple of hours she now has a double chin. I felt it and it feels soft and squishy. No bug bite that I can see, but it does feel like her lymph (spelling) nodes are whats swollen, but not sure. please hel I dont know what to do!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    could it be Hypocalcaemia ?

i know that can cause Weakened uterine contractions, mild bloating and a decreased body temp

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I wish I could offer some help, but I think you should call your vet. It sounds yucky! How is she doing now? Has she kidded yet? I wonder if things will change once she delivers? Please keep us posted!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would offer her some dry baking soda. She will eat it if she needs it. If she will not eat it then I might make a baking soda ball and give that to her.

Is she having any trouble breathing, or swallowing? If not I do not know that I would worry to much about that until after she has her beautiful babies. (This is just my opinion)

keep us posted. Good luck

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How's your doe? Did you get a vet out? Hope everythings ok. :?

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm pretty sure that all is fine....and the update is in the kidding coral :leap:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea she had a friend of hers come out and help her.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats absolutely great to have "fellow goat nuts" close enough to help when needed :grouphug: