The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have a doe w a 2 week old buck. yesterday I noticed she wasn't being herself. This morning I saw her drink water and ate a little fresh grass. gave her some grain (since she is in milk) (oats, corn cob and noble goat dairy mix). I've done this since before she was due. she seems a little gloomy. I tried to get her to take her hay, but she won't. I gave her a fresh piece of corn leaf and she did eat that. what could be wrong?

I dewormed her twice while pregnant. could she need it again? she's never acted like this. she's walking around but almost forcefully. her eyes seem sad too. thoughts?

I gave her some nutridrench. would pepto help? she doesn't seem to have diarrhea though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have never taken a temp. Shes older. Her eyelids are shut about halfway and light pink. She may be a little bloated. Shes normally pretty thin and shes looking rounded. I don't feel much rumen movement

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
There are literally dozens of things it could be and without spending the next week going back and forth asking questions, I suggest you call a vet if she doesnt perk back up soon. There are problems like pneumonia that can kill a goat in as little as 12 hours and bloat (which with her not eating Id be hard pressed to believe its anything like that) can kill in just minutes. Goats are tough animals. So when something like this happens you need to be ready to act. If you cant afford a vet you need to take a hard long look at the goat and see if you can notice any other symptoms or problems that might help us help you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so I separated her out today from the others. she had some hay, water, some broccoli leaves, and a little bit of alfalfa. her poop seemed a bit mushy not little pellets, so I dewormed her too. hopefully it will help.

I checked her hooves and they needed some trimming, too, so I did, thinking that maybe she had a problem with the hooves, since she has been walking fairly slowly.

the kid has been trying to feed from her pretty often. don't know if it's just a habit or that he's not getting enough. I squeezed her teat and did get some milk out. could it be that she's drying out? her udder has shrunk significantly, from when she kidded. is it because she just had a single?

she's seems to have ate some today, but not how she normally eats. she's still not herself. I gave her some nutridrench again today. i'm hoping she's better tomorrow.

running out of ideas. I don't have a thermometer for her. i'll be buying one tomorrow.

could it be an infection of some kind? would it hurt her if I gave her some penicillin if she has no infection?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took temp this morning 102. She seems better today. Her interest in food is getting better and her poop is now round pellets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts