Doe in Milk question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, May 22, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - so I am really new to the whole milking thing and am wanting to start milking my 2 big girls when they freshen in a couple months.

Boots (mom) is 50% Saanen 50% Boer - Freshened 1 time before with twins
    Lola (daughter) is 75% Boer 25% Saanen - Boots is her mom - Lola will be 2 years old in June!!!!

So here is my dilema - I noticed when I got these 2 about 4 months ago that one in a while Lola would still try to nurse off of her mom - but typlically Mom would kick her away. When I was doing hooves and Ivomectin injections a couple weeks ago that Boots was uddering up a bit (ok no big deal) and her teats looked really long and "full". I just left them alone.

Well, Sunday, I went out to do some cleaning and what not in the barn and found Lola nursing - like NURSING. Lola is 2 years old and pregnant herself!! So I looked and mom's udder looked a bit bigger. Not "full" by anymeans, but larger. So last night I put her in the stand and she has MILK! Like I barely squeezed her teat and a huge stream came right on out. And both sides.

Should I leave Boots alone and try to seperate her from her daughter - or just leave them together so they don't stress? Could I milk mom or should I wait till she freshens to start that?

Thanks
    Allison

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when is Boots due? I stop milking then when they are 2 months from kidding so I probably wouldn't milk her.

I would separate the two until Lola kids. She obviously was never weaned from her mom so she needs to realize she is not a kid anymore.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, this will be a big problem especially if you want the milk for yourself. Have these 2 always been together?

I had a similar situation 3 years ago that I resolved by taking the daughter to my moms herd for 3-4 months. Bootsie had kidded and as soon as I was starting to milk after the kids left I wasn't getting much at all...was questioning my feed and such for her to be drying up at 3 montths fresh. Any how, I caught Tilly under her one day and I was steamed!! Not only was this doe at 2 years old sucking on herself but also her mother. I was so mad! I tried separating them and it finally came down to removing her for awhile, when I brought her home 3-4 months late, the others treated her like a "new" goat..so she had to re establish her role in the herd and her mother wanted nothing to do with her.

DUCT TAPE was the solution to her nursing herself! As far as milking your doe thats preggy, it depends on how far along they are, most times they are left to dry out 2 months before they freshen so they can make colostrum for the new babies, but if her daughter is taking, she'll be making and won't have the chance to make colostrum for her new kids.

If you have a pen that you can separate the 2 without them seeing each other but have othewr goats with them it may be for the best, some moms will nurse their kids forever if you let them.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all!!! I will dry up mom by seperating her from her daughter. I was wondering what the heck had been going on - until I caught Lola nursing!

Do they have to be apart to where they can not see each other, or can they see each other through a fence and be nose to nose? I have both options available.

Thank you
    Allison

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would go with the not seeing each other at all, maybe it was just my 2 knuckleheads but I tried the other way..with just a fence between them and Boots would side right up to it and let Tilly grab a teat thru the fence! Best to do it where they can't see each other, less headaches later! :ROFL:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    LOL! You do have some funny goaties for sure!!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Is what I will do is put mom in the pen on the other side of the driveway. They will be able to "see" each other - but unless the teat can reach over 50 feet - we are safe! LOL!

Both girls are due early August. The daughter sure is getting round and "low" in the tummy.

These two have been together since the day lola was born..... and it was only the 2 of them with horses - so this will be iteresting. I can only imagine the screaming that is going to pursue from the seperation - LOL!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well you know what a doe in heat sounds like, LOUD and CONTINUOUS, you will definately want to get used to earplugs or a set of head phones! Or just tune it out....it's gonna be very loud for a few days! And that was a funny mental picture too...teat stretching 50 feet :ROFL:

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Neighbor down the cliff became a JERK (to put it nicely) saying that my dogs had been barking non-stop for months during the day (yah what the HE** ever!!!) but anyway - lets see how much he is going to enjoy this - LOL!!! HAHAHAHA :ROFL: HAHAHAHA

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is it going with the does? Neighbor being ok?