The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
So we have a sick alpine in milk. Thursday evening at milking she was freaking out while I was milking like she got stung by a bee or something while she was eating on the milk stand - although I didn't see or hear anything she was just huffing and puffing, shaking her head, and panicking a bit. Yesterday morning she was down and out foaming at the mouth and had the scours. I gave her activated charcoal drench and 1 gallon of bounce back, which she drank on her own. Drenched her again last night with charcoal but she wouldn't drink anymore bounce back and I didn't drench her with it, but rather just left it for her in her stall. This morning she is the same but now has snot hanging all out her nose like she has a cold (granted we are on our 23rd straight day of rain, so we all have summer colds). Not sure what to try now. I have a medical kit: bounce back, wormers, calcium gel with selenium, di-methox, and probios. I can also go to TSC and get anything else I may need. Anyone got suggestions on what to try now? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I would get some C&D Antitoxin into her. I would also get some B Complex into her along with Probios. I would also take her temp and watch for pneumonia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I have some B complex and I can mix that in with the probios and give it to her give a bounce back drench. I don't have the C&D Antitoxin - does it work better than the activated charcoal drench? I read on TSC website it is for tetanus toxicity, is that what you think this is?

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
The B Complex would work better if it was given in a shot. C&D Antitoxin has nothing to do with tetanus. It is for the overeating clostridial diseases. It is the CD part of the CDT shot.

The activated charcoal is more for poisoning. The C&D Antitoxin would be much better for her now. Even if she ate poison, the C&D Antitoxin would be a good thing.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree with Karen...any time a goat is off feed, has scours she need C D Antitoxin..its only job is to rid the gut of toxins which build up when the rumen is off...if you cant get C D Antitixin...Milk of magnesia can help with binding toxins as well...
Keep her hydrated with a quality electrolyte (home made recipe to follow)
Probios and B complex and as Karen said..B complex worms best as a shot
no feed until she poops berries, hay alfalfa and fresh green leaves are all good...
check for fever

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or any you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Hows your doe doing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts