The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe gave birth to her third set of twins 40 hours ago. The babies are okay, but she is stilling laboring and moaning. A few hours after the births, I did a gentle interior examine for a third baby, but couldn't find one.

Yesterday, she had fluid-filled bags of tissues hanging out. This morning, she had passed that, and what was hanging out was a jumbled clump of tissues that looked more like miniature intestines. With each contraction, she pushes with less strength - and a transparent red fluid leaks out and spurts of gas burble out of her uterus with a noxious smell.

I did a little one-finger probing this morning to see if I could help her ease out those tissues, but they are firmly attached to something and I'm unwilling to pull when I don't know what I'm doing...

The most worrying thing is that she didn't want her grain today...

Advise?

P.s. The babies aren't getting the usual stimulation and encouragement that a doe normally provides, so we have been helping them to nurse 4 times a day, cleaning their behinds, and milking out the extra collestrum after each nursing - storing it just in case... I am satisfied that they will be okay - those wagging tails and first attempts at prancing and jumping are quite reassuring.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It sounds like my doe several years ago that had a decomposing kid still inside. You need to get a vet or a helper and really check things out. I hope that I am wrong.... But the gas doesn't sound good..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you able to get a farm vet to come out?

- Bad ice storm - no vet today!

What is the doe's rectal temperature
- I only have a child's oral thermometer. Can I use that?

When you checked for a third kid - did you go in very deep? Past your elbow?

- I went in just to my wrist - The local goat guru told me that if there was a third one, I would find it by that depth...

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
If a kid is hiding deep, you need to go up past your elbow to find it. The doe I had to deliver today had quads. The 3rd was down to where I was almost up to my shoulder in her. The 4th was even deeper.

Reactions: Goats Rock

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! As soon as I read these, we headed down to the barn. I went back in and found the decomposing third kid deep inside her. I got it out in one piece, very slowly and carefully. I pray that I didn't tear her... She is resting now. Just the placenta to go, right?

·
8,161 Posts
You should give her antibiotics. I had a mummified kid and a pile of bones plus a live buck kid last year. Because of the birth and my clean gloved hand etc. I put a cow uterine bolus in her (broke it in half) treated with LA-200 for 7 days. Then probiotics. I also gave Vit. B complex daily for a week. Maybe that was overkill, but my very nice Alpine doe did really well, no fever and went on to breed successfully again for this years keep kids.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know sooner is better with antibiotics, but should I risk these iced roads to go get it tonight? I have to go to town (80 miles away) tomorrow anyway... The vitamin b complex and probiotics - are they tablet or shot form?
Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rereading your post... You inserted a treated 1/2 cow bolus into her uterus each day for seven days? The local Tractor Supply has LA-200 in injection form...

·
8,161 Posts
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I put a cow uterine bolus, broken in half, deep in her uterus after the kidding, just one time. The LA-200 was injected, 1 time daily for 7 days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few hours after I took the dead baby out, Abby was standing up, nibbling at grain & hay, drinking water, and caring for her babies. I took her molasses water with probiotic powder mixed in that night. Her temperature was 103.5, and she was too tired to protest me measuring it.

This morning at sunrise, I checked on her again. She wanted more grain, drank another molasses-probiotic water, and insisted on waking her babies to nurse & bathe. She was walking very gingerly and reluctantly - pulled muscles, I'm sure - and was very content to stand still while her babies ineptly nursed. She was definitely feeling better - I had to bribe her with grain to take her temperature (103).

I made the run to town and got the supplies necessary to do a saline uterus flush (the local expert insisted it was necessary), as well as the cow uterus bolus mentioned above. I also got the Vitamin B.

When we got back, we walked her outside for the flush & bolus, so as not to get her pen wet - and she was walking normally (even had the umph to express dominance over a lower goat on the way). Mind you, she was very unhappy about the flush, but just that she had the vigor to protest and fight made me happy.

I also picked up nipples for pop bottles, and got the twins to consume a bit of the collestrum I had saved from their birthday. They are both quite small and uncoordinated, compared to the kids from the other 4 births we've had here - so we are carefully monitoring how often and well they nurse. It really didn't help that for the first 72 hours, their mama was too distressed to stimulate them as she normally would have. As of tonight, though, they are alert, aware of our comings and goings, wagging tails often, and even making a few fumbling attempts to prance - so I'm content that they will be okay.

Given the state of decay in the triplet, the local goat guro believes that it must have died several days before the birth. I wonder if the twins were born early as a result? Or were just small because Abby couldn't support all three very well? It made me feel a bit better that I hadn't missed a chance to save a baby - all be it I didn't know how at that point...

I never would have thought I could do all those things - but when one is iced in and the vet can't come, necessity drives! I will be better prepared when Charlotte births next week!!

Thank you all so much!

Susan

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm so happy the momma is ok. I hope they all continue to improve. I'm in awe of what you were able to do, I don't know that I would be so brave.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never imagined I could do anything like this - but it struck me afterwards how very true this is: "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me". He gives us the grace we need, day by day - and I certainly needed a lot of it yesterday! Afterwards, I felt like I should have been shaking or crying, but I was oddly okay. He gave me the steadiness and calmness to do what had to be done, and I didn't even realize it until hours later!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts