Doe in prcess of abortion

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mary Thomas, Dec 4, 2010.

  1. Mary Thomas

    Mary Thomas New Member

    36
    Feb 21, 2010
    I need some advice, we have a young doe I'm guessing 3 months pregnant, this morning I went out to trim hooves and noticed she has passed a placenta sack, but it is still hanging. She probably weighs a 75 lbs. I was given some Oxytocin. My question is should I give her a Oxytocin shot and how much and should I give her a Pen G shot also and how much or should I wait and see if she can pass it. Thanks
     
  2. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give her time to pass it on her own. Im sorry she is aborting on you :(
     

  3. Mary Thomas

    Mary Thomas New Member

    36
    Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye on her every couple of hours.
     
  4. myfainters

    myfainters New Member

    Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree with Stacey.... I wouldn't give the oxytocin. Sorry you're losing the kids that is really tough. :(

    I'd only give antibiotics if she starts showing signs of distress (other than the aborting kids) Fever, going off feed, shivering....anything like that.
     
  5. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm sorry for your doe, poor mama
     
  6. milkmaid

    milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

    I am so sorry! That is so sad. :( Especially with cute little baby goats that you really wanted, I am sure it is hard. I pray that you soon have more to look forward to! :)
     
  7. jduwall

    jduwall New Member

    565
    Aug 7, 2009
    I am so so sorry....I will keep you and her in my prayers
     
  8. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree also..... :hug: I am so sorry... she is aborting.... that is so devastating..... :( :hug:
     
  9. Mary Thomas

    Mary Thomas New Member

    36
    Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks for you thoughts. I do not see any improvement since Saturday, the sack is still hanging. I gave her 25ml of power punch just for a little boost, she is eating and drinking, gets up and moves about a little bit then lays back down. I did notice her ankles are a little swollen. I haven't taken her temp, she feels cool to the touch. So you all think I should still wait some, she has been 24+ hours in this situation.
    I did have an older doe last spring that had twins, didn't pass the sack and a week later passed a mummified kid. Talk about a surprise, the only thing I gave her was a PenG shot..
     
  10. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm...that is long....Maybe call a vet and see if.... there is.... anything you can do for her..... :hug:
     
  11. Hidden Waters Farm

    Hidden Waters Farm New Member

    444
    Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Just out of curiosity, Did she drop any fetuses? I dont know if it would help any but if you have a camera, maybe take a picture of it and post it here for comments. This will be my first kidding year at my farm so I dont have any advice, Sorry.
     
  12. Mary Thomas

    Mary Thomas New Member

    36
    Feb 21, 2010
    I looked around the pen and didn't find anything. The sack Saturday morning had fluid and was about the size of a hardball. It got punctured and drained out, now its a solid ball hanging and beginning the smell bad. I will have to call the vet Monday, he dosen't answer the phone on Sundays.
    I'll get a pic, but posting it will be the hard part. lol!
     
  13. Hidden Waters Farm

    Hidden Waters Farm New Member

    444
    Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    If you have a hard time with getting the pictures uploaded, I can send you my e-mail address to send the pictures to and Ill upload them for you.

    Thanks.
     
  14. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what the best suggestion I have (asked RunAround) is to not give the oxytocin right now if you do and the cervix isnt still open then she will rip it.

    First try to go in and check for a kid that is stuck - because if she was 3 months along then there would be definite good size kids.
     
  15. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do agree with trying to go in and feel for a baby. IF you can get in then I have to disagree with the others and say give the oxytocin and It sounds like a antibiotic also. BUT beings it is Sunday night maybe it is best to wait for the vet. Have you taken her Temp?
     
  16. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct if you can get in then the oxytocin would be a good idea - forgot to add that thanks Lori :thumb:
     
  17. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have been thinking about you and your doe all night. What is the status of her? Have you been able to get her to the vet?

    Please give us a update. :pray: Praying she is fine.
     
  18. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is your Doe Doing ? :hug: :pray:
     
  19. Mary Thomas

    Mary Thomas New Member

    36
    Feb 21, 2010
    Since my last post, my doe passed away Sunday night. She definately had a kid blockage. When I found her Monday morning there was one large hoof and one small hoof that started to come out. It was my hesitance to go in and check things out that may have cost her life, I can't say for sure but had I acted she may still be alive.
    I didn't see any sack around the feet so I am assuming the babies were already dead since she had been in labor for such a long time. I'm am vowing today to learn what to do so this will never happen to another of my does as long as I can help it. Thank you all for your help and thoughts they are taken deeply.

    Now for the good news God blessed us anyway yesterday with the birth of a set of trips :kidred: :kidblue: :kidblue: and single :kidred:
     
  20. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awwwww, I am so sorry you lost her AND her babies :hug: It does sound like she was not aborting but was in actual labor, meaning that she was bred earlier than you thought. It is an awful and tragic way to get a learning experience but I do agree that now your loss can be thought of as such :hug:

    Hope those new babies help to mend your sorrow with the loss of your doe and kids :hug: