The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old doe came into heat a week ago but is still acting like she’s in heat ? Has anyone ever experinced their doe exhibiting a prolonged heat? She can see the buck across the fence and he seems to know she’s not in heat anymore, mean while she is desperately trying to get over to him. We have also noticed a decrease in her milk volume, is this normal during this time? Is there something such has a fake heat?

Thanks in advanced for any info you may have :)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,510 Posts
Decreases in milk can be linked to parasites so get a fecal test and check FAMACHA scores.

Not sure about the prolonged heat. I would personally give some herbs to help ease the heat such as chaste tree berry. Someone else can chime in on more common ways I’m sure.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks, I will check hr eyelids and try give her motherwort, since I don’t have chasteberry.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum MadHouse. :hi:

It is possible she is just naturally decreasing her production. How many months did she give full production last time she freshened? Has there been any changes in the amount she is being fed or a decrease in the protein percentage of what she usually eats. Can't answer about the heat situation though.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
My two year old doe came into heat a week ago but is still acting like she's in heat ? Has anyone ever experinced their doe exhibiting a prolonged heat? She can see the buck across the fence and he seems to know she's not in heat anymore, mean while she is desperately trying to get over to him. We have also noticed a decrease in her milk volume, is this normal during this time? Is there something such has a fake heat?

Thanks in advanced for any info you may have :)
Heat is not simply a one day cycle. It works up to the standing heat then back down to nothin. So yea i can see you noticing heat signs for a week or better. Just not a strong standing heat for that long.

Milk... i have one that when in heat will hold onto the stuff like nobodies business. I can feel it in her udder. I can milk her and bump her numerous times (usualles once is enough) and still she holds it. Nothin i can do otherwise. As soon as she is out of estrus i get my milk back.

But is your doe holdin it or just emptyin out as you milk and just not makin as much? If an actual decrease... is she stressed... yes cause she is in heat and near a buck. Has her feed intake changed. Amount or type of feed changed. Is the weather just too hot for her to want to eat anymore than necessary and just work mostly on her cud. Is she drinkin enough if it is hot. If she is nursin a kid as well as milkin... is the kid suckin down more cause of a growth spurt. Lots of things come to mind when a decrease happens... bein wormy is not anywhere near the top of my list for this. But i do check mine frequently for worms by famacha and fecals.

·
Super Moderator
14,517 Posts
Does she have other goats with her? I’m going to assume yes but if not then she wants him to come back so she has a friend.
Now if she has someone in with her and that’s not the issue then has she been trying to get to him for a whole week or did it seem to start back up a week later? Sometimes what will happen is they will short cycle and then a week to 10 days later they will cycle again. She might be starting to go into heat but not full blown heat just yet which is why he’s not frantically trying to get to her yet.
Is she showing any other signs of being in heat? Flagging swollen in her vagina mucus anything like that. She may just love him and want him back. But if she is in heat and has been for a full week I have no idea I have never had that happen before.
But yes being in heat there will be a decrease in milk. Anything that upsets the animal can cause a decrease in milk really.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your answers!
This doe had her first babies in May, and has slowly decreased her milk, but in the last week suddenly decreased by a lot more.
She was in heat, but continues to call to her beloved buck every day for over a week now. Yes, I do believe she loves him. She does have another doe with her, so is not lonely. Other signs of heat are also still on, like dripping mucus from her hind end.
There have not been any changes of feed, and it is not hot here, but getting colder (first frost nights).
I don’t think she is holding on to milk, there is just not much there.
She is not nursing kids anymore.
I did check her eyelids, and the colour is fine. Fecal showed very low worm load, the vet suggested not to deworm, since she is milking. I give her spruce and diato matious earth for natural deworming.

·
Super Moderator
14,517 Posts
I did a google search and I am not finding anything on a doe being in heat for that long. My brother took a reproductive science class for cattle and I’m going to send him a message and see if he by some chance has a clue. They covered a lot of different “issues” so maybe he might know. Hopefully though someone has a idea for you. But the sudden decrease in milk I would say is linked to being in heat. What might be going on before that is she is not letting her milk down for you and since you are not able to totally strip her, her body is not making as much. But she also may have a hormone issue and that’s the root of everything so I really don’t

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a google search and I am not finding anything on a doe being in heat for that long. My brother took a reproductive science class for cattle and I'm going to send him a message and see if he by some chance has a clue. They covered a lot of different "issues" so maybe he might know. Hopefully though someone has a idea for you. But the sudden decrease in milk I would say is linked to being in heat. What might be going on before that is she is not letting her milk down for you and since you are not able to totally strip her, her body is not making as much. But she also may have a hormone issue and that's the root of everything so I really don't
Thanks for asking your brother, Jessica!
I started giving Willow motherwort, so hopefully that will help balance her hormones.
Our barn is very small, and does and bucks live in close proximity. I wonder if she is getting an overload of buck pheromones.
We only have 6 goats, and it gets mighty cold in the winter here (to -40 degrees), so there isn't really another option. They all have to contribute their body heat.

·
Super Moderator
14,517 Posts
Ok just got off the phone with my brother and he has gone threw all his papers and can’t find what would cause a doe to be in heat that long. Is she still in heat? The mucus doesn’t look or smell badly correct? He was wondering if maybe a infection but that is just a total guess. I’m sorry I didn’t get a answer for you. Maybe by bumping this up someone might have a clue and come along and tell you

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok just got off the phone with my brother and he has gone threw all his papers and can't find what would cause a doe to be in heat that long. Is she still in heat? The mucus doesn't look or smell badly correct? He was wondering if maybe a infection but that is just a total guess. I'm sorry I didn't get a answer for you. Maybe by bumping this up someone might have a clue and come along and tell you
Thank you, and please tell your brother also thank you so much for doing that research.
So, it is still a mystery.
Our girl in question is not acting in heat for the last 3 days. Her milk has gradually increased again. She does still have some clear vaginal slime. It does not smell bad. She does not appear sick. Hungry as always.
I am glad things have returned to closer to normal.
I am sure the motherwort helped a lot. I want to thank NigerianDwarf owner for that hint.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a couple who stay in heat for several days during their first heat of the season and their last heat if not bred (like in February or so, late in the season).

·
Super Moderator
14,517 Posts
I think with your doe I would draw blood on her 30 days from when she was exposed to the buck and see if she is bred. If not treating for cystic is pretty simple to do. I had a doe that was cystic, but her heats were every 35-40 days. She also acted like a buck and was getting pretty nasty acting at me. I had to treat her twice but she settled and went back to normal. One thing that I had asked the person helping me with my doe was it in fact she was not cystic if treating her would harm her in any way and the answer was no. So that was the first step I took with her. If it is a infection, from my understanding (because I have not had to deal with that!) is she needs to be flushed with antibiotics when she is in heat. But I would first start with if she is open or bred before I got too carried away with fixing anything ;)
And you are very very welcome!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I agree, if a doe is in heat more than normal, I would suspect something is wrong that affects her hormones. And the buck understands she is not in heat?

I will read this thread with interest, just in case you figure out what it is! And feel very welcome here! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts