Doe in prolonged heat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MadHouse, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I had a cystic doe once and her heat cycles were 3-5 days instead of 2-3. She had a long period where she didn't cycle and I thought she was bred, but then she started coming back into heat sometime in January and it's like she wouldn't stop! She had very long heat cycles, then she would subside a bit and then come roaring back into a another strong and vicious heat cycle 5-10 days later. She didn't get bred that year. By the time I found out what was going on and knew what hormones she needed, it was too late in the spring and I decided to wait. She cleared up on her own and bred on the first try the following November. She sure acted strangely during that winter and spring though!

2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Ok, so I don’t know what cystic means. Ovarian cysts?
    And you can find out with bloodwork?
    And what’s the treatment?
    She has not been bred this season, and I wasn’t going to this year, but lately was reconsidering it (not because of her behaviour).
    The last couple of days have been bad again with her calling to her beloved buck. It was good for about 4 or 5 days, then started up again.
    Here we don’t breed until Nov/Dec., as it’s still very cold in March for babies.

Trollmor likes this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh TGS is awesome and I found my messages to the person who helped me with my doe. Cystorelin or factrel is what you need to treat her. You give 2cc when the buck first starts to show interest, In your case probably the first sign of heat since your not field breeding like I do. Then another 2cc 24 hours. It HAS to be IM. Also do not give more then 2cc or you risk having a litter that she may not be able to carry to term. As I mentioned you might need to treat her more then once. I’m not sure exactly how or when you would want to treat her a second time since there is no space between heats. Mine was easy. She came into heat, I treated her, she didn’t settle and came into heat again 30 something days later, I treated again and she settled.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. MadHouse

This was my first thread one year ago, and now Willow is doing it again! Having a multi day heat, a couple of days not, and then again, now full force, yelling for the buck.
    I am on it with the herbs.
    Maybe it is the first heat of the season, extra excitement, who knows. Hopefully the herbs will do the trick again.
    I am planning to breed her in November.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hopefully she gets with the program.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. MadHouse

Thanks! She’s being the weirdoe in that way!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California