• IDK - ask Vet

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha!

1) IGNORE POLL -- neighbor took Doe outside & she peed!!

2) BUT would still love to know opinions/suggestions re vaccines??

* FYI: we do NOT have Rabies of any kind in Hawaii !!!!!
(due to grueling agressive expensive animal relocation program!)

On Wednesday (today is Saturday):

- My neighbor's Doe got out & was unfortunately injured by wild dogs :(

- Appears to be isolated to leg wounds -- bitten pretty badly -- wounds have been dressed (cleaned & bandaged).

1) should we give Agri-Penicillin and/or LA 200 injection? Or ??

2) and/or CDT or just Tetanus? (not current on Vac's)

3) Doe is eating OK & pooping OK -- but NOT peeing??
(she knows because she's keeping Doe in her house)

- Someone told her that Doe could have blisters on her uninary tract and/or kidney stones (?) -- or perhaps that was also injured by the dogs (?)

- I suggested a nice big bowl of warm molasses water + a walk to see if she pees... Cuz maybe she thinks it's not OK to pee in house (?) but can't help the poop (?) ;)

- on Monday, we will consult a Vet...

MEANWHILE:

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS -- THANKS!!

Diane :)
Fire Island Kids
South Kona, HI

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Even if you did have rabies on your island, it takes at least 2 week for symptoms to show.

If she is inside, she may not feel comfortable peeing because she is out of her normal comfort zone? Pooping for a goat is just something they do without thought, peeing requires squatting and the doe relaxing the sphincter muscles to allow the urine to pass. She controls the urine passing more so than pooping.

I'd use penicillin.

·
Administrator
85,650 Posts
Aloha!

1) IGNORE POLL -- neighbor took Doe outside & she peed!! Take her outside.

2) BUT would still love to know opinions/suggestions re vaccines??

* FYI: we do NOT have Rabies of any kind in Hawaii !!!!!
(due to grueling agressive expensive animal relocation program!) Good thing.

On Wednesday (today is Saturday):

- My neighbor's Doe got out & was unfortunately injured by wild dogs :( I am very sorry that happened. :(

- Appears to be isolated to leg wounds -- bitten pretty badly -- wounds have been dressed (cleaned & bandaged). If they are puncture wounds, allow to drain, flush it with a light tea color iodine water solution or benadine daily 1 to 2 x a day for 4 days or so. It is good to do 2 x a day at first. Keep the goat in a clean area. Be careful, bandaging the wounds will allow infection and bacteria to grow if not changed daily.
Clip away all the hair that you can from any place wounded and clean with Betadine or diluted iodine.
Wash off any open wounds with a hose or warm water daily, then put on Betadine or diluted iodine.
Aspirin at 3 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce pain and swelling or banamine, if she isn't bleeding.

1) should we give Agri-Penicillin and/or LA 200 injection? Or ??Penicillin G, 1 cc per 20lbs SQ, 2 x daily for 7-10 days.

2) and/or CDT or just Tetanus? (not current on Vac's) Tetanus Antitoxin lasts about 7-14 days.

3) Doe is eating OK & pooping OK -- but NOT peeing??
(she knows because she's keeping Doe in her house) Taking the goat outside, where she wants to pee, is wise, she needs relief. ;)
If she is not peeing a good steady stream, she may have stones blocking her or dehydrated. The stream can't be small stream, no stream or spurts. It should flow easily and with normal volume.

She would be trying to urinate frequently. ACV for treatment in case. Or ammonium chloride.
Do the test for dehydration. Gently pull outward her skin, does it snap back quickly or slow? If slow, she needs electrolytes.

- Someone told her that Doe could have blisters on her uninary tract and/or kidney stones (?) -- or perhaps that was also injured by the dogs (?)Urinary infection, urinating frequently is a sign, strange urine odor, pain uneasiness during urination.

- I suggested a nice big bowl of warm molasses water + a walk to see if she pees... Cuz maybe she thinks it's not OK to pee in house (?) but can't help the poop (?) ;) Good suggestion.

- on Monday, we will consult a Vet... That is good to do.

MEANWHILE:

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS -- THANKS!!

Diane :)
Fire Island Kids
South Kona, HI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts