Doe is not looking good ................

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Rogersfarm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We have a doe that I posted about two days ago and she is due March 10th. She has been acting drunk like and hasnt eaten in 3 days now she is tillting her head back and staring into space .So we gave her B complex for polio and maybe pregnancy toxemia.That hasnt helped she is having a little discharge her udder is full and now she has goopy eyes and really clumpy poop that has a sticky stringy substance in it? I am lost as to what to do i dont want to lose her any ideas?What about worms?

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I would be taking her to the vet.

3. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We dont have a vet close to us for goats

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not eating would make her poop look odd...I would advise getting a vet to see her..she really sounds as though she'll need straight thiamin ASAP.
    No vet available? Give her high doses of the fortified B Complex..by high I mean no less than 12 cc, give it IM and often, every 4-5 hours, is she drinking anything? If so, give her as much as she will drink, get her on her feet if she's down.

This may be very hard for you to do but if she passes you may still be able to save the kids with a post mortem c section, you'll need to have help and act fast. :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes she needs thiamine and she also needs hydration! The stringy poo is from dehydration.

If you can't tube her then you will need to encourage drinking with sweetened water (molasses or Gatorade ) or syringe feed

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice given...I am praying for your Doe.... :hug: :pray:

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry your doe isn't doing well :( Many thoughts and prayers going out your way that she will be okay.

8. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Ok I gave her 4 or 5 syringes of corn syrup and water.She took that well and I gave her 12CC of B complex I am headed to TS to get more supplies.What about some nutri-drench? Would that help?I also saw something about Dextrose and magic what are these?

9. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Oh I found the Magic recipe it is 1 part molasses and 2 parts kayro and 1 part corn oil.

10. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Where do u buy Thiamine?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Straight thiamine injectible is only available by a vet...since you have the Fortified B complex, give her that.

12. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Keep trying to get her hydrated and stick with the vit B -- at this point, I'd probably start on antibiotics as well --

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You may want to give her calcium supplements too. Some of the signs she presented with can be caused by hypocalcemia as well and without any diagnostic tools you can't rule that out as a possible problem. TSC has calcium gluconate (23% injectable), I believe, and possibly some oral supplements as well. Calcium gluconate given as a series of injections over the ribs (40mL total) and/or orally. If she's really bad off it would not hurt to give her the injections AND the same amount orally.