Registered
29,990 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you everybody! We didn't actually do beer or probiotics yesterday. :hide:

But on the bright side, Lucy is doing much better! She is outside eating and grazing with the rest of the herd! We will still continue with the Penicillin of course and watch for signs in our other goats but so far she seems to be doing much better!

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
So happy she is feeling better. Sounds like the antibiotics have kicked in and doing its job. I would recommend grabbing Nuflor (rx) or Tylan 200 (otc) to keep on hand. Penicillin doesn't always address upper respiratory issues as well and having choices is important.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So happy she is feeling better. Sounds like the antibiotics have kicked in and doing its job. I would recommend grabbing Nuflor (rx) or Tylan 200 (otc) to keep on hand. Penicillin doesn't always address upper respiratory issues as well and having choices is important.
Thank you! We do have oxytetracycline if that's what you mean by Tylan 200. :) Where can you buy Nuflor?
And again, thank you so much! She's been grazing just about all day and seems to be doing much better! I'm just hoping that we caught it early enough whatever it was! We did just get a new goat and unfortunately were unable to quarantine, but the doe was clean and was from a clean tested herd so we figured we'd just keep an eye on them in case she was carrying something. I'm assuming Lucy got it from her but I have no way to prove it, and it's certainly not the breeder's fault I didn't quarantine..

We are re-doing our fencing so we can always have an extra pen for quarantining in the future. :)

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
We do have oxytetracycline if that's what you mean by Tylan 200. :) Where can you buy Nuflor?
Oxytetracycline is LA 200...a different medication than Tylan 200. Tylan 200 works better for upper respiratory issues. Nuflor is from a vet.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thank you! I've heard of Tylan 200 being used for chickens too and considering the number of respiratory illnesses chickens get..I'm guessing the chicken people are the blame for the backorder. :)
I'll definitely pick up some whenever I see it, thank you!

@NigerianDwarfOwner707
How much garlic per doe would you advise? Once or twice a day? Are there any particular signs I should look out for that would indicate she has pneumonia? Thank you! :)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
Thank you! I've heard of Tylan 200 being used for chickens too and considering the number of respiratory illnesses chickens get..I'm guessing the chicken people are the blame for the backorder. :)
I'll definitely pick up some whenever I see it, thank you!

@NigerianDwarfOwner707
How much garlic per doe would you advise? Once or twice a day? Are there any particular signs I should look out for that would indicate she has pneumonia? Thank you! :)
One clove for goats acting normal, 3 cloves for her. per day.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thank you everybody! Lucy has been eating normally and grazing with the herd! She has resumed her status of herd queen/senseless bully so I’m going to make the assumption that she is better.

We will definitely do the antibiotics for the full recommended 5 days, but do you all think we should do 6-7 days just in case? Thank you!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts