Doe is off-feed, away from herd.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Jan 16, 2021.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  2. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody! We didn't actually do beer or probiotics yesterday. :hide:

But on the bright side, Lucy is doing much better! She is outside eating and grazing with the rest of the herd! We will still continue with the Penicillin of course and watch for signs in our other goats but so far she seems to be doing much better!

3. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    So happy she is feeling better. Sounds like the antibiotics have kicked in and doing its job. I would recommend grabbing Nuflor (rx) or Tylan 200 (otc) to keep on hand. Penicillin doesn't always address upper respiratory issues as well and having choices is important.

4. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We do have oxytetracycline if that’s what you mean by Tylan 200. :) Where can you buy Nuflor?
    And again, thank you so much! She’s been grazing just about all day and seems to be doing much better! I’m just hoping that we caught it early enough whatever it was! We did just get a new goat and unfortunately were unable to quarantine, but the doe was clean and was from a clean tested herd so we figured we’d just keep an eye on them in case she was carrying something. I’m assuming Lucy got it from her but I have no way to prove it, and it’s certainly not the breeder’s fault I didn’t quarantine..

We are re-doing our fencing so we can always have an extra pen for quarantining in the future. :)

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    All good advice I would be concerned with the fever about pneumonia starting and I would start on garlic for her and everyone.

HMNS and MadHouse like this.
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oxytetracycline is LA 200...a different medication than Tylan 200. Tylan 200 works better for upper respiratory issues. Nuflor is from a vet.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Tylan 200 can be hard to find. For some reason it is always on backorder. Grab it if you see it and store in a dark, dry cool place! Glad the doe is doing better.

8. CaramelKittey

Thank you! I’ve heard of Tylan 200 being used for chickens too and considering the number of respiratory illnesses chickens get..I’m guessing the chicken people are the blame for the backorder. :)
    I’ll definitely pick up some whenever I see it, thank you!

@NigerianDwarfOwner707
    How much garlic per doe would you advise? Once or twice a day? Are there any particular signs I should look out for that would indicate she has pneumonia? Thank you! :)

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    One clove for goats acting normal, 3 cloves for her. per day.

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  10. CaramelKittey

Thank you!

MadHouse likes this.
  11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This is what I used last time. Got it from my local store. It is a Mexican beer. It’s black beer. See pic IMG_4326.jpg IMG_4327.jpg

12. CaramelKittey

Thank you everybody! Lucy has been eating normally and grazing with the herd! She has resumed her status of herd queen/senseless bully so I’m going to make the assumption that she is better.

We will definitely do the antibiotics for the full recommended 5 days, but do you all think we should do 6-7 days just in case? Thank you!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can go 7 days if you feel it is best to do.

14. CaramelKittey

Thank you! She seems to be just about back to normal now but we have a doe that is about to kid and any new changes stress her out so I think we will go the full 7 days just in case. Thank you!

15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’m so glad Lucy’s better...yay!
    You did great.

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  16. CaramelKittey

Thank you so much! We couldn't have done it without all your help!

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and happybleats like this.
  17. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Happy to hear she has recovered!

CaramelKittey likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, doing it for 7 days insures it shouldn’t come back unless you under-dosed it. ;)