The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our two does, sisters, had their twins on the same day. We kept them in separate pens to make sure the nights were peaceful, especially since one of the does is a real piece of work...

Backing up, let me say that we were given the sisters because their previous owners couldn't take their ill-manners any more. The lesser sister (Charlotte) has been lame since birth, and hops around on 3 good legs - so they felt she wasn't worth selling. The dominant one (Abby) was so violent that they felt guilty at the thought of taking money for her! She was not debudded as a kid, and knows how to use her horns to great advantage... My normally unstoppable 10 year old daughter will not go near Abby now, because she's tired of being targeted - and I'm not too keen on her either!

Since Abby became heavy with kid, she mellowed out a bit with me (although I've had to design her milking stand to resemble Alcatraz). Now, she's targeting Charlotte's kids. We watched the first introduction carefully. Abby's first response was to butt the kids - but not too hard. She did this twice in 5 minute's time. That was fine. Then, when a kid wandered too close a third time, she lost it. She grabbed the kid by the ear, swung him through the air, and thudded him into the wall! She did the same thing when we tried again the next day.

She is very strong-willed, and I don't think there's any way to change her reactions to the other kids. We pen her up when it is Charlotte's turn to enjoy the courtyard with her babies, and otherwise keep Charlotte in the kidding pen with her own babies. I know Abby will have to come to terms with the other kids eventually - but I think I'll wait until the babies are too big to toss easily and quicker to run.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Wait at least 2 weeks before introducing them by then the kids will be able to get away if they choose to do so. I had a does do that and I couldn't stand them doing that! One of the does (Also named Charlotte was my favorite) had one kid that im keeping forever she was a great mom sweet as can be but when she had twins she would do that to them!!!!!! I sold them off as quickly as possible and ended up selling her. Shes sweet to humans but just super iffy around other goats. Sorry long story but I would try that first and see what happens.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The dominant one (Abby) was so violent that they felt guilty at the thought of taking money for her! She was not debudded as a kid, and knows how to use her horns to great advantage... My normally unstoppable 10 year old daughter will not go near Abby now, because she's tired of being targeted - and I'm not too keen on her either!

Thoughts?
We have 4 goats that my brother gave us, 3 of them have horns. We have always disbudded ours. 2 of the 3 use their horns as weapons with our other goats and the rest of herd has suffered. However they have gotten pretty quick in avoiding her horns. I also dont like her ill manners and she is on our list to sell. Too bad because she had triplets this year and I think one of our biggest milkers. She is not ill-mannered with us, just with our other goats!

Before we started disbudding all of our goats, we had 2 goats that had horns that did the same thing. We banded the horns with castration bands and it took a month or so, but the horns finally fell off. Without those weapons on their head, those 2 goats personalities changed and became much nicer goats...

Something to consider....

·
Catharina
2,231 Posts
If you don't have the stomach to band her horns, you can safely file the points off at least an inch. Other people attach tennis balls, garden hose, or wooden cross pieces with duct tape. Personally, I wouldn't keep her, but good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

Excellent ideas, all. I had no idea you could remove adult horns without drastic measures!

Abby is indeed on the list for the freezer camp, as you put it! We just wanted to see if she would mellow and redeem herself with motherhood first, but obviously not. She had a pair of bucklings who will be "it'ed" and butchered next fall - so if she passes on her bad manners to them, it will only have short-term consequences. I think we'll be de-horning her right away, now that we know we can!

As soon as Charlotte's baby girl grows up, she can be her mama's companion and then we'll be able to deal permanently with Abby (unless the loss of her weapons makes her more agreeable).

Thanks!

Susan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.