The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed the goats an hour ago and 20 minutes later I heard my doe screaming. Came out to see this......he has been nursing she cleaned him off and she is up eating and drinking. I havent seen any placenta but she sure doesn't seem in distress like she is having more contracions. Also she had him in the dirt and his umbilical cord is all dirty. Should I clean it off?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,278 Posts
You should always iodine the umbilical cord. I like to do it twice. Once right after birth and then a few hours later.

Hard to say if there are more or not. Keep a close eye on her delivering the placenta.

Congrats on the cute little guy!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tie the cord near the babies tummy with dental floss and cut the cord just past the floss. She doesn't look like she had the placenta yet. She will have contractions to push it out. She will eat it if you let her. Sometimes they choke on it.

·
Super Moderator
59,278 Posts
I don't bother tying off unless the cord is super long and they are stepping on it.

You wouldn't want to tie it off too close to their body.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have iodine. This is my first baby now im freaking out. It has been almost an hour since the baby came. Can there be more that much later?

·
Super Moderator
59,278 Posts
I dont have iodine. This is my first baby now im freaking out. It has been almost an hour since the baby came. Can there be more that much later?
Probably not. I would just keep an eye on her and make sure she passes her placenta.

Do you have Betadine or Chlorhexidine? You can use those too but not quite as effective in drying off the umbilical cord.

·
I'm watching you
22,377 Posts
Dental floss will cut right through the cord if it's tight enough to do it's job. If the cord is too long. Take the end and bend it up into a U shape. Wrap the end around the attached part once. Put the end of the cord through the eye and pull snug with one hand on both sides of the knot. Simple Shepherds knot has been used for hundreds of years...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Looks like it. I have always let my does eat it as long as I am out there with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts