Doe just kid and producing alot

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by JessaLynn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Our nubian doe just kid yesterday with twins and her udder is really full.I see her babies nurse from her here and there but she is still full.I had to milk her a bit to relieve some of the preasure but she filled right back up within a few hours.Should I continue to milk her out or just let her be? Is it alright to drink?I froze what I took from her this morning because I figured it was colostrum.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would freeze what you are taking for the next 3-4 days, she'll produce as much as is taken from her...if her kids are nursing well and have full bellies it will take her a few days to adjust her production, if you are milking her too she'll not "back off" but will continue to replenish what is taken. Her milk may not taste good for a week due to the "udder full of colostrum", it may take that long for it to be pure milk.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I think our last doe took 2 weeks for it to be pure milk.I'm still learning.I'm just gonna give the milk to our kittens and dog.They could use it ;)

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    As long as she is producing enough for kids and you both, keep milking her. Sounds like a great doe.

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yeah she really is except a bit bullheaded lol Kids are nursing from the one side more so I got to milk her other side anyhow.I get so much I can not believe it.Well compared to my other does in milk she is giving me more then them combined! Love it!