Doe just kidded, an "is this normal" question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by ecologystudent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    So Maggie kidded (single buck) at 4:15, and her vulva is still pretty swollen and open- is this normal? She passed the placenta about an hour after giving birth, but other stuff is still coming out a little at a time- that's normal, right?

Thank you so much!

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes it is normal! That long string with the clusters on it Im sure you know not to pull it. She will continue to bleed off and on for a few weeks. Sometimes they will appear to be all cleaned out & you may find a small amount of blood again later on.
    And congrats on your new buckling!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    DItto

all is normal -- she jsut gave birth, expect everything to be a little sore and swollen

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto ...Ditto... :wink: :thumb:
    She will be that way ...for a little while..... :hug:

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Also, if she's a dairy goat don't be surprised if she starts bleeding while you're milking her. The action of milking or being suckled causes the hormones to continue with uterine contractions and push more of the "stuff" out.

My FF bled off and on for almost three weeks after she kidded this year and always seemed to get going when she was up on the stand.

6. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    That is so true about the milking stimulating contractions. I was handmilking Elizabeth last night to get some colostrum because the kids wouldn't suckle her and as soon as I started milking her she passed teh afterbirth.

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Yes, if we have multiples and they're taking a little longer than I like, I milk them out and the next kid(s) come quick and they drop that placenta soon. :thumb:

8. ecologystudent

ecologystudent New Member

May 29, 2009
    Lacey, wa
    Thank you for all the replies- I thought it probably was, but being as this was my first goat birth, I was a little nervous! And thanks for the tip about milking making the placenta come out sooner- I was waiting out there quite awhile to make sure it came out.

Mom and babe are both doing great now, he is so very cute.