The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my anglo nubian doe just kidded now on 2 bucks, please can you tell me the best and safest way to dehorn them , and do i have to give the babies or the mum anything. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dehorning

Best way to de-horn goats is with a dehorning iron (Jeffers Livestock has them). On my Boer goats buck kids are de-horned at 10 days and doe kids at 14 days. Center iron on horn bud and hold about 10 seconds or until circle is copper colored all around (rotate in place slightly for even burn). Kids may cry softly for a bit afterwards but are usually back to normal within minutes.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
You should have someone show you how, first. Is there an experienced breeder in your area? I will always "help a newbie", so it never hurts to ask. I answered an ad on Craigslist recently that asked for help with disbudding. So, put an ad up there if you don't know someone. My Vet taught me how, early on.

Here is a good information website for the future www.fiascofarm.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A FRIEND WANTS ME TO DISHORN HER GOATS FOR HER. IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME AND IM NERVOUS. WHATS THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN. JUST SO I CAN BE PREPARED. BTW THE IRON FOR THE GOATS, IS IT THE SAME SIZE AS THE ONE FOR CATTLE

:p

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Savage if you have never disbudded a goat before I dont suggest you do it without seeing it done first.

No the iron for goats isnt always the same as the one for cattle. You will want the Rheinhart X30 with the 1/2inch tip for best results.

Check out my page on disbudding http://www.endofthelinefarm.com/disbudding.htm

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
a local breeder can be your best friend for disbudding. we have made friends with a local breeder who does our babies at 7 days and charges $10 each

1 - 8 of 8 Posts