Doe & kid eating pooberries

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlecBGreen, Aug 13, 2009.

1. I noticed one of my does and her kid nibbling on some goatberries the other day. Wierd eh? Has anyone else seen this before? Is there a cause or is it just curious nibbling?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh babies will put everything in their mouth. I have to say I have seen them try but never really eat it. That is how worms are gotten. That does not mean go worm them though.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe they are lacking a certain mineral......not the poo mineral LOL... :D

DO you have...free choice... lose salts and minerals ..out for them.. and free choice baking soda??

4. yes, Purina Goat mineral and baking soda, no salt unless its in the mineral mix

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes... it says.. it has salt in it.....hmmmm...... :scratch:

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It's like when horses eat their poop, can't figure that one out especially when they have lush pastures, salt licks, clean water and mangers full of hay :scratch:

You did call them poo"berries" who doesn't love berries? :greengrin:

7. **UPDATE** Mystery solved. There is a chokecherry that is dropping tiny fruits and they look just like goatberries. The goats are eating the cherries, not their poo. I figured this out when I kept hearing this crunching sound as their were eating (what I thought was) poop. Turns out they're eating the cherries and crushing the pits.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Like I said, who doesn't like berries :greengrin:

9. well apparently my goaties like them so much they'll crunch up a massive pit just for a little taste of fruit. they must be big fans of cherries!

10. The following cherries are poisonous.

Choke Cherries, wilting especially
    Choke Cherry Leaves in abundance
    Wild Cherry, -wilted- leaves (fresh and fully dried are not poisonous)

So be careful.