Doe kid... what should i do....?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, Jul 31, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Hi All.. my dairy goat gave birth to twins today.. they are both 1/2 boer. my first question is though.. their feet the hoofs are really soft and look like there peeling. and they are soft. is this normal..? my other kids have had more of a hard hoof..
    also the buckling he is doing well him and his sister are a bit wobbly on their legs.. but he seems to be alot stronger and more of a guts.. he eats alot..
    and the doeling.. she seems to be weaker.. and shes tinying.. shes feeding off mum they both are.. im just worried about her being out in the cold being so small.. its winter here- no snow.. but its really cold. i just dont know if i should leave her with mum or bring her home.. or bottle feed her.. just so i know shes getting enough food.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    The soft hooves are normal, they'll harden up soon. As to the kid...if you see that she is nursing I'd just watch her really close.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup hooves are normally like that when first born.

The doeling may need some help if mom doesn't stand long enough for her to get her fill. SO you can hold mom so that she can. As she gets stronger and can nurse like her brother this wont be necessary.

As long as mom doesn't reject her then best to leave her with mom. YOu can put a sweater on her--- make one out of an old sleave of yours from a sweat shirt or something

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you have any Nutra Drench that you can give her? That would give her some energy and the vitamins that she will need. I swear by it.

5. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    thanks all. im going down to check them soon to see how they went last night. stacey thats a good idea.. i will do that.