The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe kidded a single buckling last Tuesday. When she had him and for a couple days after she had a very nice large udder. Now it is pretty small im not sure if this is just normal like the engorgement when milk comes in and now it is just smaller because she is just nursing one. The thing that really concerns me is I have not seen him nurse since like day 3 and my 7 year old daughter told me that his mom wont let him nurse and kicks him away. Should I try to bottle feed him or is it too late considering he is a week and a half old?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh goodness. I have never milked a goat before. Is it pretty easy? I have bottle fed in the past before and used whole milk. Is this possible or will it make him sick?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
whole milk is fine, we use baby bottles. you should try to milk her though it is like milking anything else. unless she was bought as just a pet the least she should do is give you enough to feed the baby!!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If you haven't seen him nurse it doesn't mean that he isn't :)

Is he lethargic, weak and not wanting to jump around? Her udder being smaller just means that she's making just enough for her single baby, especially if he is nursing both sides.

If he is sunken in, weak and not being active then yes, I'd bottle him.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He seems 100% fine and is running and jumping and playing with my girls. I will still try to milk her and see what happens though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok there is also a chance that it is because my daughter is out there too. We just got this doe 3 weeks ago. A week and a half before she kidded so she is not very used to us. So maybe she just doesn't want to feed him while we are out there. So it is normal for her udder to be much smaller?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Her udder will only be as big as what she produces for him.
Does with single kids simply will adjust her supply according to "supply and demand" I've had a couple does here who have had singles after previous deliveries with twins and triplets and even though I know what my girls are capable of producing because I do milk them, when they have singles they produce less unless I start milking them often to be a part of the supply and demand that her body knows :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
be sure also she is being fed enough herself to ake that milk for baby...If you feel the babies tummy it should be firm, not squishy, not sunken in or bulging out...if he is plenty playful, then I would assume he is eating enough...you can also weight him weekly to be sure he is gaining proper weight

·
14,615 Posts
A doe WILL kick her kid(s) off when they've had enough. Not violently, she will sort of kick up her heels & walk away.;)
It does sound like he's getting plenty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts