doe kidded with triplets but she is still not standing....!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zatsdeb, Dec 11, 2008.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    My neighbors boer goat had triplets and did not clean them off, she will not get up, will not stand. she will eat, drink, let the babies nurse while still not getting up.
    this was yesterday, I haven't talked to them today, they do have a vet and I don't know what the progress is today yet..
    I am just wondering why this is and what can be done about it!?!?!?!?!
    I have 7 does due to kid this spring, I had kids last year and the year before and didn't have any troubles...?
    I know my neighbor is worried sick about her goat, her husband is doing what he knows and is in touch with his vet..
    any advice????

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry, I don't know what to tell you, but I am sorry :?

Is there a way to put a towel under her to help support her backend and help her to get up and walk around? My concern would be the rumen shutting down from not getting up.

Is she a FF?

Was there any invasive actions taken during the kidding?

Does she have a temp?

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Is it that she is so wore out or were the kids that big?

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    the doe has had kids before, I think she is about 3 or 4? 2 of the babies were breech, and I was thinking she was wore out!
    she is alert, or was, and has her head up, drinking stuff with electrolites, and whatnot. something else I don't remember.
    they haven't answered the phone this afternoon, I just got home from work and just was still worried about her also.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Getting her up is important, she is probably just wore out and a couple squirts of NutriDrench may help her...if the vet is ther hopefully he is one that knows goats and would be able to tell if she is hypocalcemic....sometimes those kids take alot out of mom even before the birth, I have used a calcium, magnesium drench specific to goats in the past when the doe seemed to be weak...it helped immensely.

6. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Something else to consider is that she could have a pinched nerve in her lower back/back legs. Sometimes that happens when giving birth and there is quite a bit of swelling, which will go down in a day or two and she will be fine if that is what it is.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a doe who wouldnt stand up till I made her. I put my arms around her and pulled her up --- this was pygmy though.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Did she expell the afterbirth? What is her temp?
    It is NOT normal for a doe to not clean her kids or feed them laying down. This doe needs a vet.

I had an FF once who wouldnt feed her kids without me dragging her to her feet....she was going downhill fast...she had twins but later found a mummified kid still way in there. Doe had to be put down.
    Not to alarm you but these things happen.

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    Re: doe kidded with triplets update...doing better....!

just talked to my neighbor, she is standing a bit, for a few minutes at a time, maybe 5 or more.
    the babies are nursing and are being bottle fed also,
    mom expelled afterbirth..
    given lots of electrolites
    penicillin
    is eating, ate flake of hay, and some feed.
    I think she was just wore out!!
    both were at work, she was fine when they went to work, and when they went home to check on her she was pushing.... and the first one was backwards, had to be pulled, second one came out normal, 3rd backwards had to be pulled also.
    all 3 are fine, so far!
    these neighbors are wonderful people, and are really up on taking care of their animals! they have 4 other babies born a few days ago...
    I guess I should post some pictures.... to brag on them, our billy samson is the daddy
    these are not the new ones, they are the ones from a few days ago. the new ones are just as cute!!
    [​IMG]
    little girl
    [​IMG]
    little girl
    [​IMG]
    little buckling
    [​IMG]
    this is a really neat one! all black!!!! little girl

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    awwwwww........they are so adorable... :love: congrats..... :leap: ....She may of been pushing for quite sometime... and it has definitely warn her out....she seems fine other wise....so I think with some rest.... she will be better real soon....

until she is stronger....I would keep an eye on her.... to make sure... she doesn't lay on a kid....by accident...from being weak... :worried:

11. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    here are the babies! just got the picture
    they are doing good!
    [​IMG]

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    really nice kids..... :) :thumbup:

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what a variety of colors!

14. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    they are very colorful arn't they! my samson is the black headed boer goat on my pictures, he is the daddy, and the daddy of 3 of our 7 pregnant does! our remaining does are bred by the neighbors billy who was red and white paint, so pretty.
    can't wait till spring!!!
    thanks for all everyones support. everyone here is always so prompt at comforting words and good information!!!

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Wow, I hope I can get some colorful kids like that when my LaManchas start to kid in February. Congrats on your new kids :). :leap:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great news. :stars: they are adorable.

I have to say i do not think I would want to get up and run around if I just had 4 babies :slapfloor:

Has she tried the Molasses water also. I do that for the does after they kid for the energy plus it is sweet and they really seem to enjoy their treat. A Also do the Nutra Drench.

17. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    The Mamma is doing better now, she most likely did have a pinched nerve!!! We have a wonderful vet, who really helped out!
    She is standing now, quite a bit, like day and night I guess!! the babies are nursing!
    they seem pretty happy!
    Just wanted to update everyone who gave the great support and advice!!
    this board is great, I haven't posted a lot of times, but the ones I did, everyone is great about responding!
    Thanks guys!!!
    Debbie

18. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wonderful! Glad everybody is doing well. :)

19. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Forgot to say that when one of my does quaded out she was a little lethargic too. Gave her several cc orally of equal parts molasses coffee & whiskey, perked her right up. Then kept warm molasses water in front of her for a few days.
    So glad she is doing better way to go! :thumb: