Doe kidded:[

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Apr 2, 2010.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    When I got home from work tonight my first doe,who I've had since she was 7 weeks old and was going to be a FF had apparently kidded around 6 or 7, thats when my dad went down to the barn to feed,and there were two babies laying there dead,and she had a string of stuff hanging down which they thought was a prolapsed uterus,yet noone called me at work,and noone called at the time I shouldve got off work to let me know,and nothing was going on so I went to a friends to hang out there cuz my brother was there to. He tells me that my white goat had two babies and trampled them,so I was pretty upset. Then my mom calls me freaking out and tells me it was actually my other goat and that she thinks shes going to die. So I flew home and went to see what was going on,and the "uterus", well it was actually a third kid! This was several hours later and noone ever bothered to call me,then when I did get there I got blamed for not being home. So we pulled the third kid out,also dead,it had the cord wrapped around its neck.As for the others,they werent trampled,and they were fully formed and decent sized actually,so I dont know what happened but they were a month early :( One doe and two bucks. She still didnt pass the afterbirth after that,because I stayed with her for like another 40 mins until my mom made me come to the house and said to leave her alone until morning. :( But there where odd little red sacs that looked like they had fluid in them hanging that I wasnt sure what they were,so I hope she'll be ok :( I wouldnt think there would be another kid,but I didnt expect triplets either... :(

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh, I am sorry for the loss. :(

The red sacs are most likely part of the placenta...

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Ashley I am so sorry :hug:

what you saw hanging was the placenta - did it pass yet?

4. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Oh Ashley, I am so sorry to hear that. That's so frustrating when that happens. :tears:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am very sorry...it isn't easy.... :( :hug:

6. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am so sorry for your loss :hug:

7. loveallgoats

loveallgoats New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Arizona
    I am so sorry. I hope that your doe is doing ok

8. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    She did pass it all around 9 this morning,I was concerned because the sacs were odd looking and I was hoping she didnt have any internal complications or anything :( She seems to be doing ok now,she's been up and eating and drinking and chasing my new doeling and trying to get out of the gate,so I guess she must be feeling ok,but she keeps looking for her babies :( So not very good luck for a first year

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    That's soo horrible about the babies, but at least the mom is o.k...the biggest thing is to "get back on the horse" hopefully everything else will go smoothly for you! :hug:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley, I am so sorry :hug: It's not your fault kid, miscarriages happen and the firsts are always devastating :hug:

With my recent experience with stillbirth, please try and keep your mom happy and comfortable. Her udder will get painfully engorged if you don't milk her to relieve the pressure...at this point, it's all colostrum and being this long after delivery the antibodies are lessened, so unless you milked her and saved it last night, it wouldn't be as beneficial to keep it now. If you decide to dry her off, do so in a process to avoid mastitis or other complications.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm so sorry Ashley!!! :(

12. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I'd just felt a baby kick for the first time two days before,so I dont know,could head butting have caused it? I did put out the doe that just kidded a few weeks ago,and they head butted pretty hard a few times,but they stopped after that and everything went back to normal :sigh: I am going to let her dry up,beause I'm in school and work part time after school and my family doesnt want to do it,so not to many options there :(

13. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Im so sorry for your loss of your babies.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you will need to milk her a bit to relieve the pressure so she doesnt get engorged and develop mastitis.

to dry off you just milk a bit out so that it isnt tight each time. And soon you will be able to milk once a day and then to once every other day