The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My does is real close to kidding she has had some discharge and all but she's acting all kinda weird she won't hardly eat she just lays in the barn this morning I though she was dead she was laying in the barn with her head straight up against the wall and wouldn't move can this just be the way she acts I have not had her long

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
She could be in the beginning stages of labor. My doe acted similar. Super uncomfortable. She kidded that night. Can u check her ligaments on each side of her tailhead. If they feel like pencils you probably have a bit of time. If you can't feel anything and its soft and squishy then she is close! Happy kidding :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She could be in the beginning stages of labor. My doe acted similar. Super uncomfortable. She kidded that night. Can u check her ligaments on each side of her tailhead. If they feel like pencils you probably have a bit of time. If you can't feel anything and its soft and squishy then she is close! Happy kidding :)
Her logs are gone been gone for a few days and she had been like this for about a day or two an its milky white discharge

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Poor sweet girl.

Can you get her some calcium, like milk fever calcium? Tums if you can't get the stuff right away.

give her some molasses water.

I would also wash up and put on a new rubber glove and check her, in case. You will only have to put 2 fingers in there and not go in too far to know. If you go in slightly and you hit a wall, she is closed, if you go in and your fingers go in easy with no wall, she is open. And may have issues. If she has been this way for a week, that is longer than the usual pre-labor symptoms. She looks like she doesn't feel well at all.

If you want to get a knowledgeable vet to check or another goat breeder then do so. It doesn't seem right that long.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor sweet girl.

Can you get her some calcium, like milk fever calcium? Tums if you can't get the stuff right away.

give her some molasses water.

I would also wash up and put on a new rubber glove and check her, in case. You will only have to put 2 fingers in there and not go in too far to know. If you go in slightly and you hit a wall, she is closed, if you go in and your fingers go in easy with no wall, she is open. And may have issues. If she has been this way for a week, that is longer than the usual pre-labor symptoms. She looks like she doesn't feel well at all.

If you want to get a knowledgeable vet to check or another goat breeder then do so. It doesn't seem right that long.
She has had small bits of discharge since Tuesday

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
I would say your doe is in trouble, this is not usual behaviour for a dpe close to kidding.

Firstly i would treat her for preg tpx and ketosis. The best thing is propylene glycol. If you cant get that, nutridrench. Try some warm molasses water or straight.molasses. Calcium drench, or injectable or oral CMPK or just feed her tums if you cant get those.

Next i think she needs to be examined vaginally.if you are not experienced or cinfident she needs a vet or experienced goat breeder. Wash your hands and her back end wih antiseptic. Remove jewellery and trim nails. Gloves are optional. Lube your hand and insert slowly, a few fongers at a time. If you can get your whole hand in, try to feel for the cervix to see if it is dilated. If it isnt dilated you wont be able to go in further than your wrist, and you wont feel a kid right there. If however she is in.labour and having difficulty, you may or.may not feel parts of a kid. You will probably get your whole arm in if she is dilated, unless there is a kid in the way. If she is dilated you should gebtly find the kids, manipulate them into the correct position.and deluver them. Be aware she will scream when you put your hand in and you will probably need someone to hold her still.

Having said all that, i can only see the pictures small on my.phone but her udder doesnt look that full amd if the doscharge is thick and white it may be her plug, in which case she could be a few weeks off and the behaviour could be due to preg tox. In which case propylene glycol should spark her up.

·
2,203 Posts
She just doesn't have the typical "sunken in" appearance to me. I also say she has a little ways to go. Discharge is normal.

I second the milk fever treatment as highly recommend treatment for ketosis right away. How old is she and do you know her kidding records?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An she is 2 1/2 or 3 years old and no I don't know her records I bought her from a friend and he said this was her first kid since he had her he bought her from an auction an brought her home an go her bred to his billy

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
You check vaginally; but first i would treat for preg tox and milk fver and see if that brightens her up

1 - 20 of 31 Posts