The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nigerian dwarf 2015 doe
first year raising her twin boys. At her original farm they left kids on for 48 hours then pulled.

currently schedule is, doe is put in kid pen at night then put in doe pen during the day.
kid pen has free choice orchard/alfalfa hay.
doe pen has twice a day hay feeding then browse.
she also gets oats/alfalfa pellets/goat chow 2x a day but she doesnt eat a whole lot.

problem 1
she lets her kids nurse until they are full which leads to diarrhea every couple of days. they chase her around until she gives up and lets them nurse.
problem 2
she is very thin, her pelvic bones are very prominent. she has good gut sounds and a larger rummen at the end of the day. Im debating if i should go ahead and deworm her again. last dewormer was quest after she kidded as i seemed to have had liver flukes.
she is alert, bright eyed, higher up in the herd ranks, she is a bit flighty and i think that is why she doesnt want to stand long to eat her grain she is given.

the bucklings are almost 8 weeks.(which i just realized so glad the buck aprons are coming at the end of the week and they arent typical Nigerian bucklings )
im thinking i can start weaning them now since she is so thin. i was thinking either using tape or just putting her in the kid pen morning and night.
bucklings are larger and healthy, bigger then some of my doelings who are older.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Boys tend to pull mom down faster than does it seems. You could pen the boys up in the kids pen and let mom in once a day to nurse them a bit to help ween slowly and maintain their condition as they adapt to being weened full time. A fecal wouldn't hurt to be sure parasites are not an issue. Check her famancha as well.
Be sure to keep a watch in boys as stress of separation can cause a parasite/coccidia bloom.

·
Administrator
85,596 Posts
Her kids may have worms or cocci as to why they have on and off scours, I would get a fecal for worms and cocci just in case.
If the kids are on creep feed and doing well they can be weaned if mama is really down. She needs to be dried off so her body isn’t draining all her reserves to milk.
I would also do a fecal on mama for cocci and worms as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the kids get toltrazuril every 21 days and are also fed a lamb medicated starter. i was hoping the starter would help slow down the coccidia when they get older so i wouldnt have to give toltrazuril every 21 days.

i have a microscope and slides, just not the solution, not sure to make sugar or salt?
thank you for the info!!

All kids are in the kid pen(10 total) this doe is the only one left who has young kids, the rest are weaned, I have to keep the kids in a pen as they would just go thru the field fencing. hoping to replace this summer with no climb horse fence. stinks living next to a rock quarry when you try to dig holes.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Toltrazuril works differently than sulfa drugs and corid. Using every 21 days is unnecessary. We dose once at 10 days to 3 weeks old, then after any major stressor such as banding, weening, storms or fecal ect. To treat we do a booster 10 days after the first dose.
Normally we stop prevention once weening age. This is when their immune system is their own..some need a bit longer if they have a weak immunity or has been sick

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update, she actually looks better. she is down to visiting her boys 3 times a day, just enough to get her more comfortable, but she is over being a mom. hopefully she will dry up fast. This is also her first year only producing milk for less then 3 months. she loves blackberries and i think she is browsing more since she is with the herd most of the time now.
some of my kids if i dont dose them every 21 days they get scours,tail down so the coccidia gets too much for them to handle. hopefully next year i will have two kid pens so maybe the coccidia wont be as bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts