The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost two year old doe who has lost her voice. She has not been screaming, I didn't just take a kid from her, she doesn't show any symptoms of something lodge in her throat? I am at a loss. I just don't get it and was hoping sameness on her could shed some light for me. Thanks :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't worry. That has happened to my doe Lylah a million times! I even posted on here about it because I was so worried! She'll be better soon. With Lylah she usually just can't baa for a day, then the next day she is perfectly fine:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm. Well hers has been gone for almost four days now. Has your doe lost hers for that long before?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will Check tomorrow. She looked a little thin to me but I could be trying to see something, ya know. I'll check her temp in the morning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, her temp is 102. However I now have another doe that is loosing her voice. I'm confused.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
Temp is good...do you tether your goats? Are they in heat? You said they are not out yelling? some goats in heat will scream til thier voice is gone...I had a young boar who cried fro me alot when she didnt feel well..she got all sqeeky but is fine now..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is tether? They aren't in heat. And they seem as happy as can be just no voice. The doe that began to loose her voice this morning now just have one at all.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
tether means tie them out..sometimes when folks tie them they pull against their collar causing sore throats...
Good to hear they are happy goat : )
it could be nothing more than allergies : ) You can try some benedryl ....also add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar (maybe 1/2 cup) to a gallon of cool water ...sit it next to their reg. water...chance daily..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh no, I do not tie them up. I will try the Benadryl and cidar. Thanks happybleats!

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
BTW I love your avatar!!...they do look happy : ) its like someone rang the dinner bell lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Those are my only two nubian girls. I have had them for about four months and I just LOVE them. My boer/kiko girls are not as socialable but I am fine with that. They are for meat anyhow. Sorry I am sayin so much....... I also just got my nubian buckling for my nubian girls four weeks ago. I am bottle feeding him so he is a sweetie too. I never thought after having the meat goats that I would love these so much. Can't wait to start milking them. I've heard the bond is amazing that is produced from milking. Anyhow, thanks for the response! I am gonna be busy helping my parents build their house today so I will have to wait till tomorrow to go get the cidar vinager and Benadryl.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after two days one of them has began to get her voice back. No improvement on the other. They seem happy and healthy otherwise so I think I am going to leave the situation alone till I see more symptoms to tell me otherwise.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
Sounds like a good plan : ) Somethings just need to run its course as long as they are acting well other wise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts