The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new to the milking thing. The ND doe that I am milking immediately lays down on the milking stand. I have been putting a small bucket underneath her so she can't lay down and milking her that way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to not do that? I have another doe that does the same thing..and freaks out when we touch her udder. Both does were 2 when we purchased them and they are also FF.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You have to be more persistent than the goat. Just keep the bucket under her until she quits laying down. It can take time but they should come around.

·
1,524 Posts
I have a plastic mixing spoon that I set up under any does that lay down on the stand. Once the handle end of the spoon pokes them in the belly, they will stand up. It has a rounded end, so there is no danger of being impaled and it will bend a bit of they put all their weight on it, but they don't like the pressure and will pop back up to a full stand when they feel it on their belly.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have a plastic mixing spoon that I set up under any does that lay down on the stand. Once the handle end of the spoon pokes them in the belly, they will stand up. It has a rounded end, so there is no danger of being impaled and it will bend a bit of they put all their weight on it, but they don't like the pressure and will pop back up to a full stand when they feel it on their belly.
I think I might try that... I don't have much trouble now, but I will keep this in mind for the future..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts