The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone
I have a job so that was an amazing milker this year I am having issues putting weight back on her what can I do? She is getting Organic alfalfa pellets 20 percent organic dairy pellets with organic whole grain which has corn barley oats and soybeans. She is getting two cups AM and PM. Can I get some tips on how to help her gain weight what are things that I can add to our diet?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I had a doe like that. I gave her about 1c Flaxseed(or linseed) meal with Kelp, Salt, Diatmaceous Earth, and Molasses. It helped her keep her weight steady, at least. Plus she LOVED it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a doe like that. I gave her about 1c Flaxseed(or linseed) meal with Kelp, Salt, Diatmaceous Earth, and Molasses. It helped her keep her weight steady, at least. Plus she LOVED it!
I think I was told by an old friend that you could also use some type of vegetable oil. I feed kelp and soybean mash. What is Diatmaceous Earth?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
I would up her grain if she is only getting 2 cups total per feeding. When I had my Alpine/Nubian milker, she needed 5.5 cups of grain per milking to stay in milk and good condition. That is on top of alfalfa/grass mix hay and minerals/kelp.

Safflower oil would be a good one to add a little to her grain.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Diatmaceous Earth is extremely fine diatom shells. They can be used for de-worming as the tiny pieces of shell puncture the worms stomach lining, and kill it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my thing is she is a very pickey eatter she is jot milking any more. Just dry and I am trying to get her to eat more grain. I'm going to add molasses to her food but believe it or not most of my goats hate molasses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts