Doe needs uterine flush

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by caprinescene, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    I have been told by a vet that most likely my doe (who gave birth about 5 days ago) needs a uterine flush which I have never performed, though have read about, and because the vet is gone (and there is only one very LOUSY vet left in town) I am wondering if I should do it myself or if that would do more harm then good. I have antibiotics I can give her but I know she needs treatment soon since she acting very weak, has a slow bloody discharge and isn't eating or paying attention to much around her. Does anyone know what would be best to do?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Why does he think she needs a flush? Did she have a hard kidding?

Is it possible she is low on calcium? I'd give oral or injectable calcium since it sounds more like a calcium issue to me.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when Ashley and i took a goat who had a hard kidding with a dead kid and a retained placenta the vet didnt suggest a uterine flush -- but not saying your doe doesnt need it just thinking we might want to explore other options.

What are the circumstances - what is her temp?

4. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    I think it was because of the milky-bloodyish discharge and her behavior. How would I know the difference between a calcium issue and a uterine infection of some kind? Our does have always had healthy kidding but this is the first time she has had triplets. She almost looked like she was gonna have quads but they were big triplets. I haven't checked her temp yet, I can run out and do it real quick if needed.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so she kidded 5 days ago did she pass the placenta?

bloody discharge is normal for a couple days past kidding - does it smell bad? yes a temp would be good but not manditory

I would give her some calcium, b complex and put her on antibiotics

6. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Okay, problem, upon testing the thermometer it said that a healthy human being is 80 something degrees. It's been a while since it's last use. As to her symptoms I think they are mostly just what I stated before. Milky yellowish mixed with blood discharge, definite lack of response to stimuli, when we put her in a separate pen she would only walk if we pulled on her and sort of bumps her head on the wall on her way in like she didn't know when to stop. She hasn't been eating much at all lately and she isn't making any noise and her fur is all scragly looking. Does any of that make sense? I know it sounds kind of like Ketosis, but it seems to fall into symptoms of a lot of other things as well. Any insight will help. :)

7. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Just saw your post, no the discharge doesn't smell and as to the placenta I actually don't know, I wasn't there, we happened to be gone so I had my parents watching them and all five of the does kidded while I was out of town for a wedding, go figure I suppose. I came back the day after and I saw only one placenta on the ground but the does also eat them so I don't know if Cimorene passed hers or not. :(

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok normal temp for a goat is 101-103

I would put her on a strong antibiotic like a oxytetracyline (LA 200, Biomycin, Duramycin) 1cc per 20lbs for 5 days. This will take care of infection.

and again you should give her some calcium and bcomplex (shot). I have CMPK gel but there is a goat calcium drench you might be able to find at like Tractor Supply. With the CMPK gel I give 12-15cc to a mini goat I would give 20cc to a full size.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I'd do as Stacey said, antibiotics, Calcium, and B-complex. I'd give her some probiotics as well.

If you have the injectable calcium then 50cc SubQ of calcium Gluconate 23% I think it is.

10. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Okay, I will try that. right now our animal supply places are closed, the only thing I have now is nutridrench and the antibiotics, but I just went out to check on her and give her LA200 since we keep that on hand and it doesn't take a thermometer to tell her temperature has dropped. She feels cold to the touch and is laying down making breathing in a way that sounds like she is blowing bubbles or something. I stuck the needle in to give her the shot and she didn't flinch, she didn't even turn her head! She seems a lot worse than earlier but it has also gotten cold since the sun went down so maybe it's just more evident, I don't know. I know if she gets an infection or something she can go hypothermic and I have her cozied up with straw all around and stuff but should I get a heat lamp and put it in with her or something?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she shivering? whats the outside temp?

12. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Not that I can see, she is just sort of dead weight, and it's 30 degrees, it supposed to get to around twenty. Last night we had a freak snow storm so the temp changed pretty drastically.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you think she could use a heat lamp then do so. I have never had a situation like this in such cold temps.

14. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Okay, I will probably. Anything else you can think of that I can do besides wait for morning(and the farm supply shop to open), hope she does okay and check on her throughout the night?

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give her karo, whiskey and coffee mixed in equal parts. Probably 6 cc's or so.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I wonder if she could do with a handful of tums for the calcium. I realize its not the best but it may get enough in her system to bring her temp up and hold her through the night. If she won't eat them they can be crushed/pulverized and drenched or mixed with a sweetened water for her to drink. Just a thought.
    Andi

17. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    Okay thank you so much! Anything else you think of just post and I'll let you know how she does!

18. caprinescene

caprinescene New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Summersage Farms ID
    She passed a few minutes ago. I still have no idea exactly what was wrong. I gave her everything I could and stayed with her. I did the whisky thing. I wish I knew what happened so I could prevent it from happening again. Thank you all for your help anyway. :(

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I'm sorry you lost her. Don't beat yourself up as you did everything you could.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no....I am so sorry you lost her....... sometimes.. we try so hard and can't seem to get them better.....it is not your fault and we have all lost precious animals...so we feel your pain..... :hug: :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.