Doe needs uterine flush

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by caprinescene, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've just gotten chance to sit down here and read your posts, I am so very sorry for your loss :hug:

It really sounded as though she could have benefited from the calcium and B comp, antibiotics when you first noticed her being off, you said she had large triplets...did she deliver on her own or was help needed? It is not very common but can happen, she could have suffered a tear in the uterus from a hard delivery...assisted or not, bleeding into the body cavity as opposed to bleeding out, if this was the case, there really was nothing you could have done for her :hug:

How are her babies? I'm assuming they are being bottle fed since mom wasn't up to caring for them....I hope you have a doeling among them to help ease the pain of losing their mom :hug:

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm so sorry :( I only just saw this now. I tend to think along the same lines as liz, uterine tear/haemorrghage and internal bleeding rather than it all coming out. Also, you say the bloody discharge was 'milky', well when the uterus tears you tend to get white bits of fat discharged, maybe thats why its looking milky?? I am so sorry you lost her, to have her go downhill so fast, I think it was something serious and probably not a heap you could do.

Enjoy the little ones

3. Mellee7AcreRanch

Mellee7AcreRanch New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    sorry for you loss. It sounds like she went septic, which is almost imposible to treat.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    caprinescene posted earlier that the doe passed away.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes liz, I saw, thats why I gave my condolences, and offered a possible reason why the doe was so ill. Its never easy to lose one and I know I always wonder why ...

6. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am very sorry for your loss.

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    So sorry about your doe, caprinesense. You did everything you could for her :tears:

When you noticed that your doe got very cold that was because her temperature dropped to what's called "subnormal." There's not much that can be done for an animal when they are that cold and they not shivering. All you can do is try to warm them up or the organs of their body get too cold to function.

Mellee7AcreRanch is right, sepsis (infection that has spread throughout the bloodstream) sounds like the culpret. A uterine flush would not have been the cure for sepsis either. It may have eliminated the main cause of infection, but not the infection in her blood. Since it was so cold outside her body could not keep itself warm while fighting an infection (the same thing happened to 2 baby goats I was recently treating for an intestinal e. coli infection). If you are interested in a specific diagnosis you can take her to your vet who can perform a necropsy to determine the specific cause of death. That may ease your mind and let you know how to treat something like that in the future.

I know it's hard, but at this point I would turn your attention to her babies. Have they been able to nurse colostrum from her? Make sure that they are healthy and happy and it would not hurt to give them a shot of B-complex at a bit of nutridrench just in case. Check both their temperatures and monitor their behavior (they should be happy, playful babies).

Those kids are little prototypes of your lost doe. You will be able to see her in them. :hug: :love:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: just now got to this.

sorry for your loss, looks like jess explained very well what could have happened. :hug:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Since this is a very old topic it is being closed. Thank you for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.