The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mel had her doeling 8 days ago and has been a wonderful mom. She is a FF. Today, doeling was disbudded and tattooed and handed right back to mom bum first. Mom spent the afternoon pushing baby around and wouldn't let her nurse. Baby now runs from mom. I had to hold mom tonight to let baby nurse. Please help! Suggestions???

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, So I tried the Vicks....didn't work. I also rubbed some of mamas milk on babys head and face. That didn't work either. I brought mamas sister into the kidding stall to see if she would protect baby.....she butted heads with sister a little, but didn't care too much.

Please help! This is our first baby and I really want her to raise it.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You are going to have to keep working with her. Hold her will the kid nurses. Try Vanilla. Is this an FF? Every once in a while, a doe will completely reject a disbudded kid. I did have that happen to me once with an FF.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have found when a doe does not want her kid it is soooo hard to make them take it. I have yet to draft a kid on, well no I had one adopt kids but still lol. ksalvagno is right keep at it. I had a doe not want either of her kids, she got no food or grain unless those kids were nursing her. Shes going to fight you and its not going to be fun but keep at it. There is a old saying with raising cattle 'hay is the best cowboy' let her know those kids equal food and grain.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, she's a FF. her udder isn't tight and baby's tummy is firm. She just knocks her around a lot and won't lay with her. If baby does a sneak attack from behind she can nurse and mom will clean her bottom. She just doesn't want anything to do with the disbudding. This is so discouraging. She has been great until now :(

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well tonight, mama was still pushing the kid around. I brought some vanilla extract down to the barn with me and put a drop on baby's head and the tip of each ear. I also wiped some on mamas face. After about 10 minutes, mama gave baby a lick on the face and talked to her....baby talked back. They've both been quiet since the disbudding yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed that things are much better tomorrow :)

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Hopefully that will do the trick for you. My FF who rejected her disbudded babies the first year, didn't even think twice about it the 2nd year and didn't miss a beat nursing her kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts