Doe not coming into heat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Jan 18, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OK, so I have been dieing to breed Maxinne. She would go into regular heats until the last two or three months. Now I haven't seen any signs of heat at all. I bring a buck out to her every day and she never wants anything to do with them.

:hair:

Then she watched Sugar get bred and after that she decided to start humping others... I don't know if shes confused or what.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like those dreaded "silent heats"! I noticed with my older does that even though they do cycle yearly, they tend to be "silent" after kidding through til around August...then they turn into hussies! After December though they go back to the not so blatant behaviour....maybe Maxinne is showing that she is about to come into heat by mounting the other does....possibly put her in with the buck now and see how she reacts, she may end up in standing heat within a few hours or a few days.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've either thrown her in with the buck, or brought the buck to her for a month now. The boy is always interested, but she's not. She is 8-9 months old now.

4. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I don't have much experience yet but I have a 2 yr. old doe that had silent heats all fall. I finally brought the buck to my house and put him in with her 24/7 for one month. I found semen on her hind legs one night at milking but never saw them 'together'.

The breeder told me that she's had does who were only in heat for six to 12 hours so if they come in over night... a person would miss it! Thus why I put the buck in with her. Ask me in five months and I'll let you know if she's preggers. :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok so she had heats and now doesnt...........any possibility a buck got out or bred through the fence? I know you had a storm a couple months back -- did any animals get out?

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    twist was/is like that.. drives me nuts which is why i gave up and made her live with the buck for 2 months!

but do you have a wether? thats the only way i can tell twist is in heat

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, she had very obvious heats with LOTS of tail flagging. I know the bucks didn't get into the girls pen. I always keep the bucks locked in if the weather is going to be bad, or is.

Between the fence would be possible if neither party minded a really strong Zap from the electric fence. I have metal fence with electric between boys and girls. But she would never back up to the fence like some other horny goats I have, so I don't think so.

I do have a wether, but he is still young and since I took away the crown jewels the only one he humps is Sugar. In heat or not mind you. :roll:

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha poor sugar..

my wether cruiser thinks he's head buck.. makes the noises , TRIES to pee on himself, which doesn't work and he gets angry. humps everything in the pen he can.

but twist is his special girl.. they're married.. if goats do that

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sugar doesn't mind it really. :ROFL: Just like her mom! :ROFL:

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hahaha!

my friend has doe who she has a hard time keeping NOT PREGNANT!

we call her looker the hooker.. sad thing is her daughters are all like that too!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :ROFL:

Anyway....LOL... a vet ,can give her a shot ,to make her come in...maybe you can try that.... :shrug:

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would just feel bad giving her those drugs at such a young age.

Any herbal stuff people know off?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so for the past few months she has been in heat like clock work -- when should she be in heat again (or should have)?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    well, I've honestly lost track. She would always come into heat with Sugar and Spice.

I've been keeping an eye on her since the beginning of December and around the 15th of December I started bringing the buck to see her every day to try and catch her in heat.

So I haven't seen her cycle for a while and I didn't write it down when she did... yeah... stupid me.

15. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Talking with my vet there are no ill effects from the Lutalyse.
    We had to give it to a doe that was "oops" bred, that I was not prepared to go through with! :angry: It didn't phase her at all!
    We now use the vet that some of the other big time breeders in our area use (who she told me have also used lutalyse on their does from time to time with no issues)

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    There are some homeopathics that encourage a doe to cycle. I have to look in our book though and it's not right here. If you might be interested in that, I could look it up for you. . . .

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sure, I would like to know what kind of all natural things I can use before drugs. But, if I need to use lute then I will consider it. I would just need to convince my vet to give it to me.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey we all miss our time of month at least once a year -- give her till mid February I say. :shrug:

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I talked to my vet to get Bose and I brought up Maxinne. They would want to do a pregnancy test since it's been about 2-3 months since her last heat. They want... are you ready for the price........ $45!!!!! for the pregnancy test! :shocked: :shocked:

So I guess I am just going to wait and see with her. :sigh:

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    WHAT :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: You can draw the blood your self and with mailing have the test for $13.00!!!!! That is rediculous.

Tina told me about some stuff called Vionate that helped her doe finally get pregnant ask her about that!