doe not doing well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sparks879, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

This is a friend of mines doe, im running out of ideas here
    Alpine doe with a little labored breathing, cant hear rumen sounds. Doesnt want to eat. Temp is in 101.8. We forced quite a bit of water and some mollasses down her, wormed with strongid. gave her some probios. She is standing stretched out. Doe HAS NOT had her CD/T shot for this year. Doe was not bred this year. she has pooped but only one time, and it was extremly dry.
    Any ideas?

2. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    sounds like she's in pain - like a horse with colic? - do you have any banamine?
    for horses that aren't pooping, or dry poop, they also tube them with oil, but never did that for a goat before.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    It sounds like she may be impacted... although the wheezing sound is more of a pneumonia symptom. Is she on antibiotics already?

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

no antibiotics, she is working on giving her an enema and then is going to call me back

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds exactly like what happen to my guy in early Dec.....he was fine the night before, found him down in the the morning....he had low temp with no rumen sounds, I gave him MOM, probiotics, number of other stuff, can't remember at this point... Murphy was clear of parasites...brought him in the house to warm him up, he would not drink or eat.....was not pooping or peeing....after a couple of hours loaded him up and took him into vet where they tubed him with oil and gave him an enema and a shot of banamine and sent us home.......I asked the vet about an anti-toxin injection but he did not give Murphy one, looking back I wish I had just gone and got it and did it myself......I also think Murphy was dehydrated, which I did not know that a dehydrated goat is a dead goat! I talk with Susan G. from Tennessee Meat Goats after the fact and she said I should have tubed him him fluids, you can not get enough fluids into a dehydrated goat any other way........I so wish I could go back and do things differently.....I did start antibiotics after getting him home that morning.......sadly I loss Murphy the next morning and his death was horrible and still haunts me.
    Hope this helps and gives you some ideas......my vet said he thought Murphy had a blockage, but I just don't buy that.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

im headed over there now with a shot of banamine, this will be the first time i have seen the doe....will update you guys when i get back. Im thinking a twisted gut she hasnt pooped sinse last night

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Praying that the doe gets better.....you may be right about the twisted gut.... if that is the case surgery is the only thing to save her... :( :hug: :pray:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Well its definatly not a twisted gut, i was basing my opinion from the description i was given. I went over there expecting a lot worse. I think its a bad case of parisite overload. I dosed her up with fluids, electrolites lamb and kid paste and probios. This AM she is eating again! not aggressively but its a start. her temp was low last night, not dangerously but enough to be concerned. We got a heating pad and blanket on her.
    I'll keep you posted!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad... it wasn't a twisted gut..... :hug:

I will pray... she will improve each day... :hug: :pray: