Doe Not Eating Hay

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mnspinner, Jul 18, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Have a three month old kid for the past few days not eating much hay. She is a big robust girl, perfect stool, terrific color in gums/eyelids. Not acting sick.
    She eats grain fine and I saw her eating some leaves. But only eats a bit of hay and then leaves. Sometimes she bleats too - not a sick or distress kind, but maybe frustrated?
    The only thing I can think of is possibly might she have something stuck in her mouth - like a stinger or some sore? Haven't checked yet - tough to hold her and open her mouth enough to check.
    Just wondered if anyone else had something similar. Any ideas?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you taken her temp? Just to see...

She may have a little tummy ache...stop the grain ...give her probiotic paste and baking soda for 3 days..

Has this kid just been weaned ........?

She may be a picky hay eater....or it may smell a little off ....?

3. If you have an oak tree cut some good size branches, give them to her. I bet she will eat. Some goats just don't like hey when there is green around. Also how hot is it where you are? The heat will have then not wanting to eat as well. If she does not eat the fresh leaves then it is very possible she is not feeling well.

4. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    She was eating better tonight, so I hope it continues. She's never been a picky eater. Still nurses a bit from mom. No heat here. It's been the coldest summer in nearly 70 years! Thanks for the replies.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm I dont know what to say -- Glad to know she is eating better. I would be concerned about possible cocci and have her stool checked. Thats the first thing I notice when mine are having an issue with cocci is that they go off hay. ONce treated they go back to their normal selves

6. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Funny how we all have different experiences. Almost every goat I've had with cocci has never gone off either grain or hay. If not for the scouring I'd never guess anything was wrong. Maybe it's just because I get on any sign of deteriorating stool asap.