The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

So im brand new to baby goats and such, our new mother goat however has had babies before as far as we know but we are having issues with her stepping over her babies (3 of them) when they try to feed. she lets them feed once or twice a day as far as ive seen but not very long so they don't seem to get much as she will only let them feed if the baby goat i deem to be her favorite is feeding otherwise if the other two babies try on their own she will not let them feed at all. i point to mention is he babies are fairly tamed they come up to us and jump all over us but the mother is not she will only let you touch her with food in your hand or if she is ok with it so i have been unable to get a hold of her teats to get some of the milk out of her very full udder. so for one baby we have had to take to hand feeding because she is much smaller and just didn't thrive like the other two. the babies are 3 weeks old, and the doe jenny is eating fine in fact she hasn't stopped eating in about 3 days and her udder is full so im not sure if her behavior is normal or if the babies are getting enough milk especially because the baby we are hand feeding is becoming very stubborn at feeding time.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also

This is lilyy the baby goat who we are hand feeding ... she has been standing in this way for a few days now and im just wondering what it could mean ? Because she is otherwise quiet health and happy except for standing still in this fashion.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Hunched up is not good. Have you weighed the kids? If you are unsure if they are being fed, you should weigh them daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenth of pounds. You can get a hanging fish scale very inexpensively.

How much were you feeding her with the bottle?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Mothers usually only let the babies nurse for a short time but many times a day. You may not see all the times she nurses.

Keep it up with her and the petting while feeding treats, usually that's all it takes to make a goat more tame.

Hunched up like that usually means some distress. Is she eating/drinking well for you? Have you done a full fecal test with cocci to see if she's got worms/parasites?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is she grinding her teeth? What is her temp? If over 103.5F start antibiotics ,electrolytes, and banamine, if no banamine aspirin or better yet childrens IBUPROFEN (double the childrens dose) this may be a uterine infection. Lower than 101.5 F she is cold put a heat lamp on her and offer warm fluids. Happy bleats makes her own electrolyres. And has posted the recipe many times. You can also use pedialyte but warm it up. My dad always gave them brandy in the old days. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I hadnt been weighing them but I might start now because I can see a major difference between lilly the hunched goat and the other two bubs.

Currently we are attempting to get 160mls three times a day into her a day but some days she is very stubborn like today and I was lucky to maybe get 300mls into her she Is still getting some from mum so I wasnt to concerned thinking maybe she wasnt starvingly hungry

Details on the hunched goat (sorry I meant to put over a week and tgat ive been to tge vet) - we have layed down blankets and shes been sleeping between her siblings which is good because her fur seems less thick. I havent got myself a thermometer but we were at the vet a few days ago and she checked it to be fine while she was also like this... havent done a fecal test, but im worming them next week as they are due for it. Also when we went to the vet a few days ago I got a course of antibiotics for her and that was completed yesterday . I have electrolites prepared in my fridge also so ill be giving her more tomorrow. I have also found her to be hunched with her tail plastered when its cold so maybe I could set up a heat lamp or could I get her a warm coat like they have for puppies as this may be easier with our setup ..

no shes not eating well for me at the moment so could that be causing her some stress while we are attempting to feed her ?

Think ive covered everything

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and thanks for the advice with the doe ill just have to keep at her while feeding her because she tends to move away from her bubs even when I do try that and they go to feed shes alot tamer than she used to be but before we got her she had a hard life so she hasnt been easy to tame to the point we have her at even now

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you are having trouble feeding her and she is significantly smaller than the others i would pull her and strictly bottle feed her, use a regular baby bottle not those black things they just taste terrible and i dont blame any thing for not wanting to suck on that plaghh!. She will eat when she gets hungry put some honey on the nipple pry her mouth open until she gets the hang of it. The moms milk will take 10 days to 2 weeks to taste good to drink for people. By then you can seperate the other babies during the day and milk at night or vice versa. When you separate them from mon put them all together so that the bottle baby knows she's a goat, not a person. Thats how we did it it but honestly they do better on the mom, if you can get her going.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The reason I suggested a full fecal is to check her for worms and cocci. Without that you aren't sure what you need to treat. She could be hunching from the cold but if she's like that a lot it is more likely something else. She could have a gut full of worms/parasites. Worms could also explain why she's not thriving.

You also need to know if you're feeding her too much at one time. They don't like to eat a ton all at once. So once you know her weight, you'll know how much to feed her for the day and through a feeding....but if she's still feeding off of mom too then that makes it a little harder to know just how much to feed per feeding.

Maybe this will help with feeding and how much
http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
She is at the age that I give my kids their first cocci prevention treatment. That is what I call a "classic" cocci stance. If she doesn't have diarrhea yet that is good. I believe if you get a fecal you will probably find cocci (it gets out of control with kids, during times of stress, like when the go to their new homes). However, I do not trust fecals for cocci and I treat every kid on a preventive schedule, 3/6/9 weeks and again before they go to their new homes. I use Baycox (1ml/5lbs), hopefully you can get it locally, if not treat the kids with Sulmet, liquid. 1ml/5lbs day 1, 1ml/10lbs day 2-5. You can get this at your local feed store.

I agree, I would pull the "extra" kid and bottle feed. I use the red nipple with the yellow cap, or use a baby nipple. I put a drop of Karo syrup in the milk and on the nipple, and they like it surprisingly warm. You need to "pry" her mouth open and insert nipple, make sure it is very "drippy" so she gets a taste of the milk, move nipple in and out till she latches on. It takes a couple tries before she will "get it". At this point I would feed her 3 times/day. Start with 5/6 oz. DO NOT OVERFEED HER! She will act hungry, you must NOT give her too much milk, you want her to be a little hungry so she will learn to eat hay/grass/grain. You can "kill her with kindness". Make sure she has had her cd/t shot (if mom didn't get one).

Welcome to TGS, here is another good link for newbies, www.fiscofarm.com.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
300 ml is only a little over 10 ozs, and that is not enough unless she is getting a significant amount of milk from Mom. My first guess is that she is hungry and that is why she is standing hunched up like that. If she is fighting the baby nipple, try a Pritchard nipple. I've never been able to get a kid to take a baby nipple, but they will usually take the Pritchard nipple.

To figure out how much to feed, weigh her, multiply her weight by 16 to convert to ounces, multiply that by 10-12%, and divide by four. If she weighs 8 lbs, 8 X 16 = 128. 128 X 12% = 15.36. Round up to 16 and divide by 4 = 4 ounces every 6 hours. When she is done eating, stand her up and stand over her facing the same direction. Place 2 fingers on either side of her tummy in front of her hip bones. You want to feel firm and full, not hard, not squishy. Adjust the milk as necessary. As she grows, she will let you know when she needs more. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Hows her poop? berries or loose? Hunched like that makes me think she cant digest the milk..what milk are you supplementing her with?
I would pull her off mom completely and bottle feed to insure she is getting what she needs and follow the guide goatcrazy mentioned above...10% of her body weight spread out over 4 feedings...
if she is grinding her teeth, she has gut pain and need C D Antitioxin, no milk for 12-24 hours ..give electros only, If you dont have or cant find C D Antitoxin you can use Human Milk of Magnesia to bind toxins.
If she is pooping berries, not grinding teeth, and well other than hunched, could be she is not getting enough food from mom and bottle. I had a triplet doe who kind of walked on her tippies and back slightly hunched..her brothers were taking all moms milk and she barely got any...a few bottles of goats milks a day and she was well, and grew better.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
How old is the kid?

Get a fecal on her. It isn't good treating her with all kinds of drugs, this will drag her down. If you know the fecal results, it will help get her well sooner, instead of guessing.

Getting a temp, it is crucial as well. It may of been OK a few days ago but, is good to monitor. With her condition, she may get pneumonia from being weak or with parasites.

Feel her belly, is it full or empty feeling?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts