Doe Not Feeling Well-Vet Update

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Jun 2, 2010.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am worried about Magnolia. She has been acting just a bit off the last few days. She still eats (although I did not see her eat her hay this am). She is due on the 19th and doesn't look huge but not small.

Temp is 104 (but she pulled away about 3 seconds before it went off)
    I gave her 6cc vitamin b this am along with about 10cc CMPK (only real calcium supplement I have on hand), 2.5cc BioMycin (I hope that is ok for pregnant, seemed like the posts on here about it says it is), and 6cc Nutri-Drench.

She looks more depressed than acting really sick. Ears kind of droopy, etc. She's been sleeping more than usual lately. I do not have any alfalfa, could this be part of the problem?

Ideas anyone? I don't want to lose this doe - stumped as to what is wrong with her.

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Re: Doe Not Feeling Well

Don't know. :sigh: Someone should be on soon that may have had this happen. Have you tried to offer her a favorite treat? If she is "off" she won't want it. Also try some malassas (sp?) water. :pray:

Gina

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would get her temp down. Offer her cool water and make sure it is fresh several times a day. Put a little something in it to help her drink it. (Molasses, gatorade, anything like that). I would also offer her grain, see if she will eat it. Are you sure of the due date?

I would really keep a close eye on her. I would not think twice to get her to a vet if she gets any worse acting or that temp goes up at all anymore.

Please keep us posted. Good Luck

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

maybe try using a ketone test strip to see if she has ketosis/pregnancy toxemia
    if yes, then use propylene glycol. :hug:

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Unfortunately, I do not have the test strips on hand. Would her breath be sweet smelling if she has ketosis?

I do have Keto-Drench and Calcium Drench (I think) would this be good to give her just in case or hold off?

She was drooling some after I gave her the medicines but that is probably just cause she doesn't like the taste? I saw her drink quite a bit of water. I will give her warm water and put some molasses in it to encourage more fluids - or is it best to give her cold with a higher temp?

Thanks everyone. You know how your mind goes blank when one of your goats is ill?? That's what happening to me. . .

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Things were not getting any better so I took her to the vet this afternoon. Didn't do a whole lot of good except I got thiamine for her. They did blood work, fecal, ultrasound, gave her some banamine and thiamine (and sent me home with some).

Blood work was all normal except slightly elevated WBC (from the fever). Vet said her left lung wasn't making much noise. I was instructed to keep her on Bio-Mycin another 4 days. Her temp was 105 something while we were there but I just checked it a bit ago and it's down to right around 103 (she pulled away right before it beeped).

Drenched water w/ electrolytes into her and got her to eat some blackberry leaves (she probably ate about 30 leaves altogether and then kind of lost interest). She nibbled a little on grain (didn't give her very much but wanted to get something into her). She is not salivating as much anymore (she was literally drooling all over the floor at the vet). She sometimes lets her tongue hang out.

Vet said she had coccidia but didn't give me the count, even though I asked. . . (I really don't care for this vet but she tried). Said there were 3 or 4 different kinds of cocci in her sample and that sometimes it can turn into "nervous" something? I was confused. Are there really several types of coccidia? She said sometimes it can lead to strange neurological signs (which is what Magnolia is kind of showing).

She is strong as a horse and dragged me across the yard when we got home. But still sick. I'm really worried but trying everything I know. Any ideas, anyone, please??? Am I missing something? Based on what I've written, do you have any ideas what this might be?

I was instructed to give her Albon for five days (but if I am giving Thiamine at the same time, don't these work against each other?) along with 2 oz. kaopectate every 12 hours (will this make her constipated?) and Thiamine 3x day.

Sorry for the wordiness. . .
    Oh, there is at least one baby that is alive. That's all she could really see but she didn't spend much time at it.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Olivia, the drooling and tongue sticking out to me sounds like a neurological issue....high fever can cause this but I'm not sure coccidia will. You are right to not give the thiamine with the Albon as cocci thrive on thiamine BUT if you feel the cocci count is low enough to not need to treat her for it I would continue with the thiamine to see if there is improvement...the neurologic issue has me leaning towards polio.

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Sorry I can't offer much besides hugs and hoping your doe feels better soon. :sigh:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, if it is indeed Polio, the thiamine will hopefully bring her out of it?

Temp is down to 102.1 -- now that worries me that it dropped so fast.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Gosh, never heard of anything like that. I have no idea. I will be sending good thoughts. Poor girl.

11. Galavanting Goat

Galavanting Goat New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Capriola, is it at all possible she has eaten something she shouldn't have?, any possibility whatsoever?. We had two does here a while back that we sadly lost, the treatment was heartbreaking to say the least, for 3 days each they showed signs such as salavitation, Temperature spiking and dropping erratically, loss of appetite, to occasionally nibbling on hay, lithargic, infrequent urination and squatting without peeing, eventual resistance to walk, eventual resistance to drink, re occurring bloat, paralyses of the tongue, depression, eventually not being able to move, eventual bleeting in the last 5 hours, yelling/convulsions and then death. It wasn't until months later the university vets came out to scan our property for us that they found poison peach (it also caused neurological issues).
    I'm also aware that some vegetation can depleat thaimin in the body over time. I would suggest ringing the vet back and asking her to explain exactly what she found and if possible, get a fecal count done by another vet, compare the two results and go from there.

As for giving her warm or cold water....if her temp gets quite high again, I would suggest giving her cool water rather than cold, this will give her body the chance to adjust but you don't want to shock her body when trying to get her temp down. Also if her temp is up high, get a couple of cold packs (frozen peas if nothing else) wrap them in a hand towel or medium thickness cloth and place them on her pulse points whilst laying down, if she won't let you then if possible place a fan near her but not directly on her as you don't want to suddenly chill her. That's all I can think of for now, sorry you and your girl is going through this, it's so hard and frustrating to watch our goaties like this and not have the immediate answers, kind of like taking a stab in the dark to work things out.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How are things going today?

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She made it through the night but is not interested in the trimmings we have offered her. Gave her Nutri-Drench this am, her Thiamine shot, some extra Vitamin B (can't hurt), whiskey/molasses/coffee mix, probiotics, keto-gel paste, and her BioMycin shot. She hates me but I'm hoping she'll pull through. She'll nose through the hay but will not eat any. I also gave her some baking soda.

Temp was 100.1 when I first went out this and then after about an hour, checked again and it was up to 100.6
    It's not below 100 so is it okay to offer her food stuff? We've hardly ever had sick adult goats but have dealt with various baby illnesses -- I know a lot more about treating kids than adults.

She still acts strong and runs around to try and get away from me but is not so steady and I've not seen any rumen movements. Maybe a couple small burps but no cud chewing? Should I try and transplant cud? (Gosh that's dangerous for my fingers but I'm willing to try.)

**One person on a yahoo group list are saying that the BioMycin every day is too much?

14. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Don't worry about the daily BioMycin. I just had a VERY sick doe who kidded 5 babies and came down with a serious infection. 106-7 fevers for almost 10 days. I was treating her with Naxcel and Baytril to no avail, switched to daily 2cc BioMycin and Naxcel and that did the trick eventually. She had daily BioMycin for 10 days at least.

15. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Meant to add, I basically kept her alive during that fever with cool molasses water 4-5 times a day. I went thru 3 full jars of molasses. Keep it up and good luck.

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Prayers for your doe.

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    If she got a hold of something toxic, wouldn't this be the same symptoms? My Uncle's goats made a break for it and ate his flower garden before he got home. Not good. He saved some by doing charcoal. They all staggered and drooled with their tongues hanging out. (I called him last night to see if he knew what might be going on with her) He's had goats along time. Ask the vet about possible poisoning. :pray: :hug: I hope this helps. Check to see if it would be ok to give her charcoal. If it won't hurt the different meds she's on, I'd give it a shot.

Gina & Uncle George

18. Galavanting Goat

Galavanting Goat New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    you're doing really good with her Capriola, hang in there with her, the best advice I can give you as her owner is every now and then, take about a 1/2 hour away from everything if possible, go for a walk or something, it can get very overwelming trying to medicate/work out whats wrong with our sick goat/s and sometimes we just need to take a breather to clear our head and start again, also, make sure you write down what meds you've given her, what time, what day, and her behavioural symptoms.
    As far as her rumen goes, if she will let you massage her rumen area and be sure to get her to move regularly, unless her rumen is working properly I would just keep her on hay and keep her off all grain until she shows improvement.

It's interesting you should mention about giving her cud from another goat, as long as the other goat is nice and healthy then I don't think you would be putting your girl at a disadvantage, just be careful of those razor sharp back teeth of hers, ouch!, keep up the good work.

19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this! :( Prayers that your doe gets better soon!

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    How is she doing?