The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 2 days ago my doe started acting lethargic and not wanting to eat feed. She also does this really weird thing with her mouth. I gave her some ivermectin 2 days ago and doesn’t seem to be improving. Any idea on what it could be?
Vertebrate Goat Mammal Fence Grass
Vertebrate Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal Goat

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
Get her temp. 101.5 to 103.5 is Normal range.
Check her famacha for anemia.
Which type of ivomec did she get and what dose? Injectable, horse paste..other? And how was it administratored?
Hows her rumen sound?
The yawn action if often a sign of discomfort. Could be that or she has a sticker or somthing stuck in her mouth which will cause her not to feel great and not to eat well.

Reactions: Goatastic43

·
Administrator
93,459 Posts
I would get a vet right away, she is critical in many ways.

If you can’t.
Start antibiotics right away, 104 temp is high, unless she has been in direct sun for a long period of time altering her temp. Retake her temp in case.

What antibiotics do you have on hand?

She also is very anemic, she may have worms and or cocci. Any way to get a fecal for both right way?
She is critical.

If she has cocci, you will have to start her on that as well.

You will have to be careful on what wormer you use, because of how anemic she.

She needs an iron supplement.

She is standing as if her gut hurts or just from running a temp.

No rumen sounds and movement is bad.

The bad part is giving all she needs to cure what is ailing her, which is bad for her rumen.
Fortified vit b complex SQ 6 cc’s per 100lbs and probiotics. a few hours after giving her antibiotics.

Give room temperature dark beer.

I highly recommend a vet.

There is a lot wrong with her.
She will die if you don’t give her the proper treatment. She may even need a blood transfusion.
I am very concerned for her.

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
Her membrane look very pale. I would start anemia protocol.
Red cell 6 cc per 100# orally once a day for a week. If color looks better go to once aweek..if still very pale..do another week of daily. Injectable pig iron is an option with epinephrine or large dose of Benadryl on the ready in case she reacts to It. As a precaution.
B 12 Injectable or at least b complex
30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv and water once a day
High protien foods

Temp is slightly elevated. I would recheck it after she rests some. Keep a close eye on it and be prepared to start antibiotics if needed.

Reactions: Goatastic43

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started giving her red cell and b12 for two days and she was getting a lot better so I just continued with that and she was doing great. But I missed one dose Sunday because I was sick and now she has gone down hill she won’t eat and is just standing there staring at the ground. She has me worried and I thought that she was going to be fine but she got worse in the two days than she was a week and a half ago.

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
Grab a temp. Dud you start up anemia protocol again after getting well? (Sorry upu were sick)
Is she hydrated? Eating?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her temp is normal at 102. I only missed Sunday because I couldn’t gat out of bed. On Monday she started to decline and now she is lying down and won’t eat or drink just grinding her teeth.

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
If shes laying flat..prop her up on her sternum. Give you b complex and probiotics. Tempt her with browse food from safe plants and trees. Like oak, pine or cedar, alfalfa ...
Offer her some fresh water with a splash of molasses. If she won't drink, carefully syringe her some. If she refuses fluids all together need to do a lactating ringer. If you can..a vet visit maybe her best bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts