Doe, not growing??? anyone ever experience this?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jodane, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I have a 2 year old doe that strangely is just not growing and is unusually thin. We have been giving her extra grain 2x each day for at least 2 months. Our herd is primarily pastured and hay fed, the grain is just a treat and training tool for most of the other goats and they are all big robust animals. These are full blood Spanish Goats. She is a slow eater, but she does eventually eat all the grain (Purina all life stages plus alfalfa pellets). She is not gaining weight is actually underweight and her bones stick out, nor is she growing as she is the size of a 1 year old. Her FAMACHA color is a 5 (deep red). She seemed to have a normal growth rate for the first year but then it's like something stunted her growth and she's struggling to gain weight and grow. He fur looks somewhat disheveled and ratty almost. She's about the same size as she has been for the past year. We give all our goats Replamin once a week, they have access to loose Southern States goat mineral, as well as a mineral block from tractor supply. We copper bolus about every 3 months.
    Is anyone aware of any medical conditions goats get that might cause this? Any ideas or thoughts about why we can't get her to gain some weight? upload_2020-3-31_20-44-24.png

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    She looks to me like a goat who struggled with Coccidia or heavy worm load. I would have a fecal done including coccidia. Rule out parasite.
    I have good luck with LOH Back on Track herbs to heal the gut.
    Probiotics and dark beer are amazing team perk her rumen up.
    You say she eats slow..check her teeth. Make sure nothing is off .

I wouldn't choose mineral blocks..too hard on teeth and tongue and high in salt. Stick with quality loose minerals.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Southern states has a cattle mineral.... weathershed. That is actually a better mix than their goat mineral.

Do the fecal for coccidia even though her lids look fine.

Tsc has calf manna. It is a pellet. That usually helps put weight on. Go slow adding it to feed though. It is very rich. Dyne is also supposed to be a good one... it is a liquid in the horse sections i believe. But i have seen people on here say go to the dog section and it is cheaper but the same thing.

4. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I agree, get a fecal and mineral blocks are not the best for goats. We use Purina Wind and Rain Storm minerals from tsc. They are labeled for cows but good for goats too.
    Is she an outcast in the herd?
    Does she have a mom or siblings that she sleeps/lays with?
    What does the pasture look like? Just grass or is there brush/weeds/trees?

Better pics of her and the pasture would help. :)

CaramelKittey and happybleats like this.
  5. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, if possible, get a fecal test done. Are any of the other goats gaining the proper amount of weight every day? Does she beg for more grain afterwards or is she totally disinterested in extra grain?
    I’m really hoping she gets better for you!

6. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Oh, poor thing! That goat really needs lots of love and attention! Congrats, little goat, that you have a loving human, who cares for you! Good advice above. Hope something will help! GOOD LUCK!

And please keep us updated! :)

CaramelKittey likes this.
  7. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I will admit that we've struggled controlling the barberpole worm here for the past couple of years. But, she's never been one of them that seems to struggle with worm load. She's been one of the healthier ones up until last fall.

Good ideal to do a fecal for coccidia and I think I'll do that even though I have treated her for coccidia n 2 different occasions when this all first started because I know that FAMACHA color isn't indicative of coccidia load. We unfortunately have a slim choice of terrible goat vets here. I get to choose from bad, and terrible

The mineral block is only there as a suggestion from one our long time goatie and mineral aficionado MariaRose who always suggests giving them many mineral options. Their main mineral choice is the loose mineral, then they get supplemented with Replamin every week also. The block is just for their extra needs if they want it.

We started her on extra probiotics earlier this week. Ill add the beer to that.

Haven't checked her teeth. I'll do that tonight when I get home.

8. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    She isn't an outcast. She's in the same stall as her mom.
    The pasture isn't great, mostly a mix of grasses, clover and weeds. We're working on that. They mostly survive on hay. Don't ask me what kind of hay because I have no idea what it is. We get it from a local farmer who has a self serve hay business and I've never even seen him so I can't ask anyone.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Barberpole are a huge struggle for most of us. Uphill battle at most. I started giving wild orange ess. Oil once a week. It's been scientifically proven to cause worm eggs to deform and become unhatchable ..or if they do hatch dies quickly. Doing this I had a whole year with zero worm issues. I broke my shoulder and left much of the farm work to the kids and they slacked giving the wild orange. We then dealt with worm issues that summer. This year we have seen good pink famachas. One drop per goat a week is all it takes.
    There is also a grass pellet called lespedeza that is said to drastically cut the barberpole numbers. These tricks may help you beat Barberpole.

CaramelKittey and 21goaties like this.
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    To help her gain some weight..try green smoothies made from kale..romaine lettuce, spinach..add a carrot and celery stick..a garlic clove..blend smooth with water or electrolytes and drench slowly 2 times a day. You can add yogurt..probiotics..ginger root..lots of things to booster her nutrients.

CaramelKittey and 21goaties like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice given.

12. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    All good advice here! I would not spend money on more calories until you find & treat the source of the issue.

However, don't forget to consider, if every other goat in the herd is thriving on the current care, and this one animal is struggling - those are not the genetics you want to perpetuate in your herd. It's best to breed animals that succeed with your specific management style.

13. KNemitzfarm

KNemitzfarm Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Michigan
    Hopefully it's not this, but has she been tested for Johnes? It's a wasting disease

14. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    You can mail a fecal to meadowmist lab: https://www.facebook.com/meadowmistlabservice/

That's good she has her mom for a companion.

I would separate her to eat grain/alfalfa pellets if you aren't already. You can make a mush out of alfalfa pellets (cover them with water and soak overnight) and add honey or molasses to it.

Can you post some more pics of her from other angles?

15. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I was also wondering.

16. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA