The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ff Nigerian doe that had twins two days ago and it looks like she isn’t producing milk. I checked her when they was first born and got a little squirt but haven’t been able to get any since. I feed both of them colostrum the first 24 hours and gave them their first regular milk feeding this morning. Still can’t see any sign of milk but the kids are constantly trying to nurse her. Should I leave them with her and supplement feed them? Will her milk eventually come in? What can I do to help her along? I’ve been feeding the whole time a mixture of pellet, whole oats and Alfalfa pellets along with free choice grass hay and plenty of water.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have a ff Nigerian doe that had twins two days ago and it looks like she isn’t producing milk. I checked her when they was first born and got a little squirt but haven’t been able to get any since. I feed both of them colostrum the first 24 hours and gave them their first regular milk feeding this morning. Still can’t see any sign of milk but the kids are constantly trying to nurse her. Should I leave them with her and supplement feed them? Will her milk eventually come in? What can I do to help her along? I’ve been feeding the whole time a mixture of pellet, whole oats and Alfalfa pellets along with free choice grass hay and plenty of water.
Weigh the kids daily to make sure they are gaining. They may jist be keeping her empty until her milk comes in. Which it should do today or tomorrow most likely. If the kids are not gaining then supplement. Baby goats nurse for maybe thirty seconds many many times a day. They learn to suck it down fast to get as much as they can while the dam stands for it. Lol.

·
Administrator
85,753 Posts
I agree.

Keep them with mama, and supplement feed if they need it.

As suggested weigh them to see if they are getting enough or feel their tummies if they are full or empty.

Are the kids crying out or constantly looking to nurse?
If so, they are not getting enough.

Make sure mama gets fresh water.

What I do if a mama doesn’t have a much milk and the kids are a day old, I force mama out in the pasture away from her babies for a couple of hours then, put her back in with her kids and allow them to nurse until they get some into their babies, then repeat.
Closer to the end of the day, I may go a bit more with time out and away so she can feed them better during the night.

When they are 3 days old, I may go every 3 to 4 hours so she builds up and triggers her body to produce enough to where she can finally feed her kids on her own.
Keep this up until you see she is doing well and her babies are finally getting enough.
Then if it is nice weather, all can go out and about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts