Doe not settling

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NDinKY, Jan 19, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have an almost 7 year old ND doe who seems to keep coming into heat even after being bred. Early November (11/4) we tried to breed her to our buckling, but I’m not sure he was able to reach. I wasn’t surprised when she came back in heat. She has come into heat and been bred on 12/1, 12/12, 1/7, and 1/17. When we breed, we put them together for about a half hour. In that time, the buck has serviced her at least 2 witnessed times. We then put them back together about 12 hours later for more witnessed breedings. This last breeding I switched out bucks (even though the first buck already has one doe confirmed pregnant by blood test and another who has not come back in heat so assuming preggo).

History on the doe: we purchased her dec 2018, to be bred to one of the woman’s bucks before we took her home. She had not settled the year prior, but the former owner said she’d only put her with the buck for one heat. She did not settle when the woman bred her in December, so she rebred her in January and we took her home. She settled that time and had an uncomplicated pregnancy and kidding, producing 3 healthy kids.

She’s kind of a odd duck personality wise. Middle to lower in the herd, and has always just kind of done her own thing. She is the only doe that I have had reject her kids after disbudding (had to tie her up for a day so the kids could nurse, then she accepted them again so we didn’t have to bottle feed). Otherwise, she is a good mom.

I did not have to palpate her or go in last kidding. No signs of uterine infection. Last BoSe in early September, last copper bolus in mid December, a little on the thin side for a ND (probably between a 2 and 2.5 under her fluff) so she is the only one getting about a cup of goat pellets each night, otherwise free choice grass hay and gets alfalfa/clover mixed hays each night. Vet said she looked good when he did the herd check on 11/1. Loose minerals and various mineral blocks out along with a protein tub (recent).

Does she sound like she has cystic ovaries? Could they show signs of heat, and stand for being bred, if they are actually pregnant? She’s got nice confirmation, from strong milking lines, is a good milker, and throws very nice kids (kept her doeling from last year), so I’d really like more kids out of her.

Do I pull blood and see if she is actually pregnant and just wants more action from the bucks (don’t want to do this unless there is a chance they can appear to be in heat when actually are pregnant)? Time to get the vet involved? Keep exposing her to bucks every time she seems to be in heat?

We’re not really set up shelter wise (at least in cold snaps like this) to pen her up with a buck for a month, but if someone really thinks that could work I may be able to rig something up.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

First I would have a blood pregnancy test done. Before you do anything more including breeding, I'd be sure. If not pregnant, she could be cystic or she could have a mild uterine infection.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ok, I’ll pull blood on her once this cold snap is over.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Just got her results. Unfortunately she is open. Now it’s not been 30 days since I bred her to the other buck, so maybe she settled with him. I kind of doubt it though, since the optical density on the test wasn’t even close.

Also, another one of my does I bred to the same original buck as my other doe who hasn’t settled came back as open. Now I’m wondering if it is a buck problem (he has another doe confirmed pregnant though). Not quite sure what to do from here.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Time for a buck sperm count to be done. ;)

goatblessings and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ugh, that doesn’t sound fun. Is that a vet thing or something I can do myself?

Are there any mineral deficiencies I should consider (doe or buck)? At this point I won’t be breeding anyone until May for fall babies.

If Slate hadn’t gotten Katie pregnant (confirmed by blood test) I’d totally blame him for them not settling. The other doe who didn’t settle has only had one strong heat since we got her, but maybe she is too subtle and I’m not picking up on her signs. I was very surprised she tested negative since she hasn’t appeared to come into heat since we bred her on 12/10. The only reason I tested her was she was standing at the fence by the boys last Sunday which was odd. Not flagging or anything, but they were acting up so I figured I’d pull blood since I was sending in for Dip (the older doe) anyway.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The vet does that. ;)

NDinKY likes this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    To follow up on this, turns out it wasn’t the doe. She kidded yesterday with quints!

The buck who didn’t settle her was the one with the bad case of mites. I’m hoping with him back healthy he can settle does now. I bred him to a different doe (but still one he failed to settle this last go round) for fall kids. If she’s not pregnant I will likely have my vet investigate.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    BEST OF LUCK with Slate!!! He's such a nice buck. Hoping he vet-checks OK! I'm hoping to use him for one of our girls later this year. :)