The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 year old mixed breed standard dairy goat that is off and getting worse quickly.

She is up but has been off food for a couple days. She looks very uncomfortable and acts like she wants to eat but can't.

Not pregnant
Not in milk
Herd tested for parasites a week ago and looks good.
orchard grass free choice
Loose minerals free choice
About a cup of locally milled grain daily

Temp last evening was 101. So started treating for possible rumen problems. Offered baking soda gave probiotic paste gave 6cc vitamin b complex sq.

This morning temp was 99.5. Drenched 4 oz flat dark beer and she ate some baking soda.

Made her walk and started massaging rumem. She is tender under her belly and between her legs. When I massaged her she was stimulated to try to pee. She only peed a little. She also tried to poop and some brown and cream foamy stuff came out but only a little.

I have delt with rumen issues before but never a doe trying to pee and poop but not able to.

I've called the vet but havent heard back yet.

She is starting to go downhill quickly.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Not sure what to tell you. I'm glad you called a vet and I hope you hear back soon. You can try propylene glycol (or Nutri-Drench, which contains PG). Sometimes it helps with rumen problems. Try to get her warmed up. Do you have a heat lamp or can you blanket her? I like to bring my sick goats into my basement and fix them a bed near the wood stove, but not everyone is able to do something like that. Good luck and I hope she pulls through for you!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Did she get into something toxic? Or too much grain?
I'd heat blankets in the dryer and get her warm. Did you take her temp with more than one thermometer? Or at least twice?

Could she have been slammed into by another goat? I don't see why she's sore between her legs, that's kind of throwing me off.
I realize she's felt poorly for a couple days, is she interested in electrolyte water? Yellow Gatorade? You don't want her dehydrated.

How's her mouth? Teeth? If she has problems there it might explain not eating and off colored foamy poo from gastric secreations...
This is all guess work. I hope your vet gets back with you soon!

·
14,760 Posts
I'm thinking she might have a bacterial infection or she may have issues with her organs.
I'd start her on Spectogard if she were mine going off of pics and description and see if that helps.

Edited to add: PenG and Spectogard together might be even better... if no improvement at all in 24 hours then it's probably something else.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet was here this morning and thinks it a urinary blockage. I have not heard of this for a doe, but that is what makes the most sense from her symptoms.

Vet gave, banamine, vit b complex, antibiotic (just in case) and tubed with about a gallon of electrolytes, ect.

She has pooped some normal poop but is still not able to pee.

I am concerned about all tha liquid in her. I understand the attempt to push things through and keep her hydrated but that also seems like alot of pressure on her bladder.

Never dealt with a urinary blockage before, but it seems pretty obvious that is what it is

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Its more common in males. But yes it happens in does. Ammonium chloride is what we give them. Usually it means the calcium to phosphurus rate is off .so it create deposits in the kidneys or bladder

·
8,177 Posts
Try heat on her abdomen and start massaging, It won't directly do anything for the blockage, but, since she is in pain, the heat and message will relax her muscles, allowing the urethra to be relaxed a bit and may be able to pass part of the blockage. Not a hard massage, if she will let you.

Also, do you have any fruit pectin for canning? Or ammonium chloride? The fruit pectin is carried in most groc. stores. Treat her like a wether with urinary calculi. Good luck, I hope she does ok.

Did he try and catheterize her?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I hope your doe gets better!
This is more just a question I have but if it is a bacterial infection could you give her yeast for equines to help her out?
I’m not sure this will help so anybody can feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! :)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The vet was here this morning and thinks it a urinary blockage. I have not heard of this for a doe, but that is what makes the most sense from her symptoms.

Vet gave, banamine, vit b complex, antibiotic (just in case) and tubed with about a gallon of electrolytes, ect.

She has pooped some normal poop but is still not able to pee.

I am concerned about all tha liquid in her. I understand the attempt to push things through and keep her hydrated but that also seems like alot of pressure on her bladder.

Never dealt with a urinary blockage before, but it seems pretty obvious that is what it is
Oh man... I would also be concerned about that much liquid. With wethers that get UC, we do not force fluids because it can rupture the bladder. I've never heard of a doe getting UC, but if that's what she has, I would drench ammonium chloride (using as little water as necessary to dissolve it) as suggested. I hope that in her case, it's just painful to pass the stone and she's not actually blocked.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have been going out and making her walk every hour. She is slowly looking more uncomfortable. Groaning when she is laying down, ect. She will not let me touch her belly and I have not been able to get ahold of ammonium chloride.

We saw her pee 4 times yesterday about 2 tablespoons full each time so not enough to relieve the pressure.

The vet is coming in the morning to do an ultrasound. He said there are no documented cases of does getting UC and is concerned she has a tumor or something like that.

I dont know what else to do besides pray.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm not sure what she would have passed all that material after the enema if U.C. were the answer. I've only seen material like that when the intestinal lining is sloughing from damage due to bacteria (such as ecoli) or coccidia.

Can you post in a local goat owners group or contact other goats owners to obtain the Ammonium Chloride anyway?

Offer leafy branches or evergreen boughs to keep her eating if possible.

Did the vet leave additional Banamine doses? Did you try hot compresses and get her warmed up on a heat pad/towels warmed in dryer/heat lamp?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts