The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my ND does seemed fine when I fed the goats at 2pm today, but when I went to give grain around 6 pm, she was laying down and didn't come over for her grain - which is really strange, since she is the top goat and usually very insistent about getting her share. I made her get up and walk over to the feeder, but then she just stood there uninterested. I took her temp right away and it was 101.2.

I went out about two hours later and took her temp again, 100.9. I got some activated charcoal paste and a small amount of baking soda into her and gave her vit B complex sub-q.

Right now my plan is to go take her temp again soon and give more B complex, drench with crushed vitamin C & garlic powder, give some JumpStart (the only thing I have with probiotics in it), and offer a bucket of homemade electrolytes. I don't have CD antitoxin on hand and won't be able to get any until friday (*of course* this happens during the only 4 days that I don't have access to a vehicle). She doesn't appear bloated at all, just lethargic and completely uninterested in food. I'm assuming it was something she ate - I cut fresh browse for the goats twice daily and although I do keep an eye out for things they shouldn't have, there is a chance something snuck in. None of other 8 goats in the pen with her appear to have any symptoms. I haven't seen her poop, but there is no evidence of clumpy poop or scours.

Her eyelids are pale pink, but she was recently wormed (with Prohibit) and copper bolused about two weeks ago and she's been getting red cell.

Any ideas or suggestions? How often can I give the B complex injection? I'm giving her the sheep dose according to the label, which is 1cc per 20 lbs.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I will wait till tomorrow to give more B complex then. She hasn't been treated for cocci. I thought coccidia caused a higher temp (not low)? I can have a fecal run on her. I was thinking that the low temp/not eating combination pointed to rumen problems.

I took her temp again around 1 am, 100.5. She was still lethargic and not interested in food, but seemed slightly perkier. She pooped normal berries, pee was really dark but that might be from the B vitamins. She did get annoyed enough with my prodding and dosing her that she hopped over the fence panel to get back in with the other goats, which is much more like herself - earlier she was just sort of standing sadly by the gate hoping I would open it for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts