Doe off her feed, acting strange, now has fever, HELP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cyanne, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

My 4 yr old Nigi doe, Pepper, is acting weird and I need some help pinning down what is wrong. She is probably pregnant since she was bred a little less than 2 months ago (I say probably because I know she was bred but I have not run a blood test to confirm yet whether it took).

I noticed yesterday morning that she was on the opposite side of the pen from the rest of the herd. Which isn't too weird, but I had just fed and the rest were still vacuuming up the leftover feed. Normally they don't wander off until it is all gone. Since I could not remember if I saw her go to eat at all, I made a mental note to watch to see if she ate last night.

Sure enough, when I did the evening feeding, everybody else ran to eat and she just stayed off by herself, laying down in the goat shelter. So, I did a full exam, no eye or nose discharge, no coughing or sneezing, no diarrhea, no vaginal discharge to indicate there is a miscarriage, basically no external signs of anything wrong. I listened to her gut and it seems to be gurgling like normal. Her belly is not swollen at all so it does not look like bloat, either. She seemed mostly normal but I could tell she was 'off' in some way, if only because she was moving a lot slower and it was really easy to catch her. So, last night I gave a big fat dose of probios paste and left it at that.

I did a little research and the closest thing that I found to match her symptoms was pregnancy ketosis. This morning she was not any better, did not get up to eat with the others, and she is making little grunting sounds like maybe she is in pain. I gave her 6cc of b complex sub Q, 20ml of nutri-drench, and another dose of probios. I penned her up in the goat shelter that she has been favoring and gave her a pan with her own feed (which she did not touch) and some water with electrolytes.

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point? Any other suggestions on what it might be? My first instinct was to grab for some antibiotics, but I don't want to medicate if it is not called for.

As for possible environmental causes, the weather has been pretty crappy lately, it's been raining for WEEKS and we had a brief cold snap followed by the weather going back to being HOT and humid.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Doe off her feed, acting strange, ideas?

I'd give her some calcium. Whats her temp? Is she pooing regular berries? Have you dewormed her lately?

3. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Ok, will do a calcium drench when I get home...she'll love that!

It has a been a couple months since the last deworming so I will probably go ahead and dose her with ivermectin as well, just in case.

I did not see her poo, but she has no mess on her rear and there were fresh pellets in the area she has been laying in. Will try to get a better idea on that when I check her out this evening.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I Sure would NOT deworm her if she does not need it. That is why the dewormers are not working anymore. People are using them just because, and not finding out if they NEED it.

Before you do that, I would get a fecal on her and have it tested. What is her temp? That is the most important thing to know.

5. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

okay, so hold off on the wormer, then. Will check her temp when I get home as well.

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I'd think pneumonia -- even with no cough. I just had a 4Her witha little wether who was "puffy," no audible coughing, off his feed. His temp was around 102.5. In fact, when they called me, he was standing off to himself and wouldn't lay down. The mom said when he laid down, he'd kind of scoot on his chest and cry, then get back up (that was weird!!) Well, I couldn't get up there, but I sent home some banamine and Baytril. I really suspected stones, but another friend did get up there and listened to his lungs, which sounded congested; she also palpated his bladder and urethra with no pain. So we finished the antibiotics/painkiller and he's doing well. SOmetimes, it just such a guessing game!

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

With your weather the way you described I would get a fecal.......could be worms......I fought them this summer as we have had lots of rainy, humid weather.....how does her eyelids look?

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with the fecal test. it could be worms, or even cocci.
    beth

9. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Wouldn't cocci present with diarrhea? And would worms be sudden onset like this?

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

A goat can have cocci and not be showing signs of any diarrhea. With the stress of bad weather, parasites can become a problem very quickly. Fecal test is what I would get done.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If possible I would get a fecal done... but if it's not then I would just worm her with ivermectin.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

One of my little wethers came to me loaded with cocci, he showed no outward signs........I always have fecal done as soon as I get them home, vet called me and said my little guy was loaded!

13. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I just checked her temp and it was 106.3. Still no diarrhea and she is mainly just laying around in the pen. So, since the only vet that treats goats is closed, what can I do right now to start helping her?

I have on hand, LA 200, Tylosin, Sulmet, and some terrymycin tablets...will any of that help?

14. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Re: Doe off her feed, acting strange, ideas? UPDATE!

It is looking like the two most likely culprits are some sort of infection (pneumonia is my guess) or cocci...she is not spot-on for either since the type of pneumonia that is supposed to cause fevers with no cough is supposed to kill really fast and she's has had this starting yesterday morning. On the other hand, she has no diarrhea which I know might mean she still has a cocci issue, but I don't want to dose without being certain.

I can't get a sample to my vet until tomorrow morning, but I am worried if I don't do something now she might not make it. What can I do to get her through the night at least? I read that baby aspirin can be used, so I could run to the store for that...or can you use adult aspirin?

How much harm could I do if I dosed her for both things? ie, 15 ccs of sulmet AND give her the shot of LA 200 and some baby aspirin to cover both possibilities? Is that just totally nuts?

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can give both, i've done it before. I'm not sure how safe the Sulmet is for a preggy doe though... I also don't think you can give a pregnant doe aspirin.

If it were me I'd give Pen G or Biomycin(la-200).

16. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I went ahead and gave 2.5 cc of the la 200 AND I drenched her with lots of water mixed with electrolytes. Man she did not appreciate that. I mixed up about 1/2 a gallon and gave her about 1/2 a quart or so of that. I wasn't sure, really, how much of the electrolyte solution to try to force down her in one go...I mean, I want her to get plenty of fluids, but I don't want to drown her either. :shrug:

How much do you generally give at a time when you drench with electrolytes?

I kept the pitcher of the solution out by the pen and I had planned to go back out later to give her more when she's had a break. I have the hubby picking up baby aspirin from the vet...though now I wonder if it is safe for her since she is pregnant? Great.

What really makes me mad is that I wish I had stuff like banamine on hand for things like this, but I have a weird vet who just doesn't give meds out the way most do. I think I am going to have to try convincing her to change her mind because it is ridiculous to be in this situation where you know you need something specific but you have to let the animal suffer and possibly die while you are waiting for the clinic to open. Not to mention that it is like $150 for a farm call, or I have to take the poor goat up there because she won't give meds without seeing them. Grrrr.

17. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I found directions on the fiasco farm site for ibuprofen dosage, so I gave her some of that. Also gave more electrolyte solution and checked her temp again. Even after all of the wrestling to do the drenching and pills, her temp was still down from the last time. It was 106.3 and now it is 105.4. So, down a little but still high. Hopefully the ibuprofen will help with that.

I went ahead and gave her 15 cc of sulmet while I was out there. Figured I'd better cover all of my bases since she is looking pretty bad at this point. Even when I gave the LA 200 earlier she only got up for about a minute and then just laid back down. Normally that stuff stings so bad they holler like crazy and sometimes even go down on their knees to make you feel guilty for being so terribly mean...so she must be feeling pretty bad to just ignore it like that. Poor baby.

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some goats don't mind the LA-200. I have some goats who roll around on the ground and act like your killing them. Others never even flinch, so maybe she dosen't react to LA-200 like others.

:hug: :pray:

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So sorry your having to deal with your doe being off, but it sounds like your doing everything you can.......hope she is better today :hug: .

I know what you mean about vet not giving out meds, mine is the same way.........so frustrating! I have wethers, so I don't deal with pregger does....but when my one little guy had pneumonia, my vet had me give him 1 baby aspirin 3x's a day for his fever........vet gave him an initial shot of banamine. Vet told me he doesn't like giving banamine often because of what it can do to the liver.....although, I think I read where banamine keeps lungs from scaring, my little guy now has an on going cough which I think is caused from the damage to his lungs, maybe if vet had let me give more banamine he wouldn't have this cough.

Take care, Denise

20. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I went out to check her this morning and possibly take her to the vet if there was no improvement...she was up and standing at the door of the goat shelter looking like she wanted out.

I checked her temp and it said 100.4...so WAY down from last night. I also managed to finally find some fresh poo in where she was (I have been trying to get a fecal but I don't have a loop and have not been able to see her poo). I grabbed a sample and am going to run it to the vet now. It wasn't loose pellets, a little clumpy, so maybe that points to cocci after all. We'll see what the vet says.