Doe - Peed Thick Clear Fluid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by friesian49, Oct 30, 2020.

1. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    This is a new one. One of the twins was acting a bit off yesterday - just a bit, but think it was more when I was checking her neck for any bumps or ticks - she does that bah when she doesn't like something.

Today I came home and she had a twitchy tail and the same worried bah when I looked at her too long. She was eating, moving about, headbutted her sister. When I was going to come in, she hunched over and then some clear, thick fluid came out - looked like snot.

She's hunched over like that before - they've never been bred, are not bred now unless a wild buck jumped in and then jumped, and they've done this when it seems like they've been in heat. No issues or worries with it, do it a couple times and that's it. This snotty looking thing was new - at least that I've seen. Once or twice I'll see something snotty on their cable wheel with the poop, but more like a booger than this thing - I know, sorry for the really terrible graphics!

Before I left, she came out and pooped, it looked fine. I gave them some goat electrolytes, weathers been up and down on temps and it's been raining a lot.

What could this clear fluid be and do I need to be worried?! I've read about the urinary calculi, but that seems to be more for males, right?

Of course this happens on a Friday...

I can go back out and try and get a picture if that'd help.

kelly

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can get a picture, that would be great.

3. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I've not bred goats or been around them and the girls have never been bred. If I hadn't seen that stuff come out, I would likely think she's in heat, as she's doing the tail wagging and she is a bit more vocal like this during some of the other times I've thought she was in heat.

Nothing looks swollen back there, nothing hanging on. At first I thought it might be diarrhea, when they had that one time, they did the tail wagging which was lovely to be next to. But poop looks good. All the electrolytes were gone, which usually means they both drank it.

I couldn't find the liquid, it must have either got washed away in rain or dried up. The one time I don't have the phone with me...

Normally they pee as soon as they see me, but the one time I want to see it...

Attached Files:

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a vet to look at her.

5. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    Maybe I said the wrong thing, used the wrong wording. It was more of a discharge than pee. I read a post on here where there was a goat that had a lot of strange white stuff coming out, this was not like that.

Reading up on goats in heat, it seems like that's just a symptom I haven't seen before from them. They say there can be mucous discharge, right? That looked like a mucous discharge! She's got the tail flagging going on and the different vocalizations. When I went to pet her, she did that slinking away thing they do when they are in heat.

I think I'm going to go try and get a temperature, which she'll hate. But will help put my mind at rest. Maybe she'll actually pee while I'm there!

I'm all for the vet coming out, my gut doesn't think it's an emergency (it's 530 EST now) at this point, since all other signs are normal. Temperature will help decide.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    OK, glad I went back out!

102.4 temperature.

She peed normally and pooped as well. Then went and ate more hay.

I think this was all Old Kelly getting paranoid...but of course I'll keep an eye on her and if we need to get the vet, they'll be getting a call.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes - discharge from the vulva is quite normal, especially when in heat. If her actual PEE is thick, then you have a problem.

8. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    Thanks for clarifying and I just read up on goat anatomy, which I should have done before. Sorry for the confusion and being a doorknob on really poor word choice. Always learning on here and from them! Thanks!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    Just an update, she's doing fine. Just went for our walk in the woods, ate a bunch of leaves, and now they are both in eating their hay. Thanks for always being there for when the unknown pops up!

Kelly

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California