The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you, Pam. All seems to be back to normal, and I'm not even seeing runny noses or hearing coughs tonight. Just checked temps and all is good. Karma has now had 3 buckets of warm molasses water (you guys taught me a good trick to get one to drink now, as long as it's warm!) and she is urinating in normal quantities finally. She just ate 1/3 of a bag of chips, too. :p
Baby doesn't seem to eat much, but she has lots of energy so I'm trying not to obsess over it and just let them be. If she's hopping around, I'm sure she's fine. Everybody seems content tonight and I am much relieved. You guys are so great! I really would be completely lost without this board. :grouphug:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had 107+ in a post kidding infection this year and it was truly a marathon. We saved her but it was two full weeks before her fever would stabilize and stay down. She lost most of her hair and considerable weight. Good to hear that your girl is better.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
as long as teh baby is moving she is fine -- its when they sleep all hours of the day and act lethargic even when awake that you know they need assistance in the food department

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm sorry to hear that about your doe, Elchivito. I'm pretty sure I read that early this morning when I was scanning for something about high temps after kidding. I hope she is recovered now!
And thank you, Stacey. That does make me feel better. That way even if I don't witness her eating I can tell she is okay. I was thinking that, but good to hear it verified from someone whose actually had new little babies before.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I always get worried like that when I dont see them eat - and then I wonder if i need to pull to bottle feed. Everything I know jumps out the window when I have kids born LOL But my mom is great she is the one to remind me what I tell everyone else :p

·
Registered
635 Posts
Perfect7 said:
I'm sorry to hear that about your doe, Elchivito. I'm pretty sure I read that early this morning when I was scanning for something about high temps after kidding. I hope she is recovered now!
And thank you, Stacey. That does make me feel better. That way even if I don't witness her eating I can tell she is okay. I was thinking that, but good to hear it verified from someone whose actually had new little babies before.
She's fine now, fit as a fiddle. I did have to bottle feed her babies, but once she started getting better she began to want to nurse them. She's gained her weight back and her coat is growing in nicely. I syringe fed her a corn oil-molasses-corn syrup and red cell mixture three times a day to get her weight back on. She loved it. Sucked it right out of an old probios syringe.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Funny how that works.. lol I've got one doe who follows me around if she knows I have Red Cell -- LOVES it -- whereas some of our other goats hack and spit and snort if you get near their muzzle with it. Same with Probios; if our wether smells a 60g tube in my pocket, he'll flat out go in after it, whereas others cough and hack and act like you just drenched them with gear grease or something..

Here's something weird for ya...the majority of my goats, for whatever reason, seem to like the taste of Dectomax injectable. Ivomec?--gross! Dectomax?--can I have some more, please?

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Still good today (four days post kidding)! Karma is eating, drinking, no temp or coughing/nasal discharge. Baby Kachina is hopping all over the place like a rabbit and even trying to nibble at some grass. Just wanted to clarify that on the vet's invoice it says the Excede is 100 ml per 1cc. I'm sure that's a typo and it means 100 mg per 1cc, so maybe it's a different concentration than the cow version? Maybe it's the pig version? Since she got 8cc (at 150 lbs) that would be 800 mg. It seemed to knock it out pretty quickly. I had initially taken them to the vet because the baby had meconium in the amniotic bag, which in humans is a really big deal....but I broke the bag after delivery and immediately dried/suctioned her nose. :wink: I'm thrilled to not have seen any abnormal temps since the day after delivery, so must have caught it early. :leap:
And she finally got her "woosh" as evidenced by the gunk stuck to her tail, but nothing heavy. :laugh:

·
14,726 Posts
I am so glad they are doing fine! You'll have to get some pics of Kachina playing outside!
I remember going to the farm where we bought our first two does, and the woman had about 7 other does with kids. Some were about a month old and the does were still having discharge.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts