The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk out to the pasture tonight to find one of my junior does looking odd. Upon further inspection, I notice her coat over the body is very short, and in some places nearly bald. I didn't see any lice or anything, clean skin, not flaky.

So I go inside to ponder, but check on her through the window and watch her pulling her own fur out... Uhhh?

I'm going to give her some copper tomorrow and get fresh minerals. Anyone got into advice? :confused:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, okay. Thank you!! That's what I've been thinking - They've been on Magnum Milk minerals, but I've heard good things about Onyx. I think I might switch her and get her up on her copper. Her dam is one that fishtails super fast if I don't stay on her about that.

·
Super Moderator
59,268 Posts
I have been finding that the loose minerals just aren't enough. I copper bolus and give BoSe shots. But I now also give 5g of Replamin Plus once a month. I have seen a difference in my does.

I wouldn't be surprised if your doe is low in copper and selenium. Selenium can cause some skin problems too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just wondering if I should give her a dose of BoSe... Her dam definitely needs one.

Any idea how often BoSe can be given by chance? I usually give them their BoSe right before they kid; I hope to breed the girls later in winter for late March/April kids... So that would put me at a 7-8 months gap... I also try to err on the side of caution and give just a hair under the rec'd dose. Think it would be safe to still give them BoSe before they kid? :confused: I lost a kid from WMD once. Don't want to repeat it.

·
I'm watching you
22,374 Posts
I give Bo.Se before breeding and before kidding plus give the kids some. The kids don't get much from their dam. My old dude gets it 4 times a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts