Doe recently kidded passed dead kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, May 6, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have a boer doe that kidded sometime this morning with a single doe kid, she was acting fine and still is acting ok. I just got called out to the barn to see my dad holding an underdeveloped kid still in the sack that she had just passed. We took it out of the barn and I did a brief examination before we buried it. The sack was very very thick, and on the outside there were these squishy callousy things that looked like banana slices. The kid was white with a red head, but the white fur was stained brown. It had no teeth and no eyelashes and was obviously underdeveloped. What I am unable to determine is if the kid is either just 3 weeks premature or if the kid had died in-uetero(sp?) and slightly mummified.

I've never dealt with anything like this, we are treating her for uterine infection though. I don't know if she passed afterbirth or not, because when the kid was found this morning it was completely dried and nursed(our does usually pass afterbirth within half an hour)

thanks for your help.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If the other kid is OK............I'd say the other kid most likely died utero.........
    I am so sorry...... :(

Is there anything(afterbirth) hanging from her at all?

there is no way to go in.....you say.... that the kid was dry?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hmmmm - did you happen to take pictures?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry about your loss.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    goathappy...how is she and baby today? :worried:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    She and her daughter are doing fine today, my brother told me she was acting off yesterday before she passed the dead kid. She kidded at approx. 5 in the morning yesterday, and passed the dead one at around 6 last night. I think she was left in with the buck so there was no definite due date on her. I think that the kid was probably dead around two or three weeks. I haven't seen her pass afterbirth at all, but like I said they tend to pass it quickly and eat it so I don't know what she has or has not passed :shrug:

We are treating her for a uterine infection and giving her stuff to pass placenta if there is still some left is there anything else we can do for her?

Also, does anybody have any idea what the banana slice thingys could have been on the dead kid's bag? I didn't get a pic(my dad gets a little grossed out if I take pics of things like that) but they were the size and color of a banana slice and they were rough and callousy feeling :shrug: It just seemed really weird.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe you are doing all you can for her. You know nutri drench and probios are good too. But I am sure you are giving her that suppotive theropy.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its so hard to tell how long the kid was dead for. The uterus is a warm moist inviroment which causes a dead kid to decompose faster then it normally would. Its hard to tell. As far as what to do, antibiotics like you would for a uterus infection are great, it sounds like you are doing everything you can do. Just make sure she is eating and drinking.
    beth

9. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    A similar thing happened to one of our best saanen does this year. It was the first birth where I had to assist. Allie had passed one healthy male and had been straining for over 2 hours before I decided that she needed a hand. I went in and found a kid's leg and butt. the hoof was facing up so I thought it was a front leg . . . but when I got it out it was definitely a hind leg. I had to shove it back inside, reposition, and then pull it out. The little buckling was dead and had black/brown stuff on his white fur. his eyes were sunken in and it was obvious that he had been dead a while, but he wasn't underdeveloped at all. :tears:

30 seconds later Allie started crying again and two more hooves appeared. I didn't wait for her to push him out herself since she was so tired . . . she gave one last push and I yanked that kid right out. Another healthy little buckling. :)

What could have happened to that poor little boy? :shrug:

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its hard to say, he may of not been right to begin with. being one of three he might not of gotten the nutriion he needed. A few years ago nmy neighbor had a doe that was having a hard time. Finally went in and pulled out a healthy doe kid. The doe was acting normal. i bounced her to see if there were any more. I couldnt feel any normal like baby hooves or hard lumps. But her belly didnt feel right. Sure enough i went in again and found a dead under developed buck kid.
    there are so many reasons that a kid can die in utero. One never really knows.
    beth