The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My herd queen is a real snot to other goats. Last year my buck was young and she intimidated him and refused to let him breed her. He tried every cycle but she squashed his dreams. Towards winter she would throw a real fit when he tried. I was thinking maybe cystic ovaries? Fast forward to this year. I sold last years buck. He was unregistered and not what I wanted in a buck but he was all I could find at the time. I bought a buckling from this year. He is only 10 weeks and 50 pounds. I'm hoping in a few months he will be able to breed a couple (thinking December) he will still be young but he is already bold and pushy with the big girls(its kind of funny...he will go head to head with them!!) My doe is registered purebred as is the buckling but I'm concerned if I wait and he can't get the job done she will be open another whole year. Don't get me wrong. I love my goats they are family but I like them to pay for themselves at the same time.
I have a toggenburg buck and yesterday while bringing him thru the girls pasture, Maggie decided he was super sexy and wooed him into being her baby daddy. I didn't allow the breeding to happen much to their dismay. But maybe I should....they'd be crossbred but she would actually get bred rather than not. Buttt I dunno. So I'm asking you all what you would do. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
It depends on what is more important to you...Pure bred or get her bred lol...Our old lady, now retired did the same thing..she wanted nothing to do with an inexperienced buck..She had Amos who was very young first timer cornered and screaming for help lol...Tank, our Nubian stepped in and saved the day...Poor Amos..but every year since,(even though she will never be bred again) she calls to Amos...now that he is 250# she is interested lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I saw your Togg up for sale. I love him so much and would snap him up in a heartbeat if he was registered. Maggie is right. I'm in love with that Togg of yours. Is it possible that you could keep him over the winter and breed her with him if the young buck doesn't do the job? Better to breed period or does it need to be the right buck? Like Cathy said, it has to be what you think is more important.

There is also renting a buck to do the job. I know of a registered Togg in New Sharon....If she liked one Togg she might like another? He's not quite as sexy as yours but he is really pretty none the less.

Too many options?

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol Amy!! I really want nubians from her. She is a nice doe and I "might" be tempted to keep a doeling from her. Ideal would be an outside registered purebred nubian buck but the only one nearby is young too. Forrest is pretty neat looking but he just doesn't fit into my breeding program at all. Several of the does are his daughter and the others r pure nubian or lamancha. I'd really like to trade him for a lamancha buck :)

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
hmmm Have you tried holding her while he gets the job done? lol

Or even just put them in the same pen and left them together? She is bound to come around and start liking him, or at least let him breed her. Just a thought.
I had a buck once that absolutely HATED and hated is saying it lightly he could not stand this one doe I had. He would hunt her down in the pasture just to ram her.(Still never figured out why either but we sold him)
Long story short I made them stay together for a few months and always watched to be sure he did not hurt her and then she started to bag up so I pulled her out of his pen. He must have bred her a night because I never saw any signs of heat or interest what so ever between the two

I agree that it is up to you...if you want registered kids or not

GOODLUCK! :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Poor Forrest. There's so few Toggs around, hopefully someone will snatch him up :)

Maybe starting with/borrowing another registered buck is the way to go with your tough girl. start early and keep trying? She could just be stubborn. But if she's worth it, it might be worth traveling to give her a proper shagging.

I think we're traveling a couple of hours to breed my Alpines so I can get the papa I want. It's all Nigerian Dwarf around here or unreg. The plan is to buy a buck next year when we really get a solid idea of who we're keeping and how we want to breed.

I can let you know if I see a pretty Nubian or Lamancha in my travels. Though I'm hoping for one more farm visit for ONE (or maybe two) more Alpines and then stopping with that for the year. I'll have to hide craigslist so I don't see any more fabulous goats.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If she likes the Togg, you could always have her on the other side of the fence as the Togg, then bring the Nubian up and let him do his job. Sometimes you can trick them that way. It could be your doe prefers stinkier bucks, some of the young boys don't get much stink to them their first year or two, so maybe she didn't think the buck from last year was actually a buck.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
ptgoats45 has a point...the younger buck may not smell enough...you could try rubbing a rage all over your Togg then rub that all over you young buck...we do the rag thing when we want to encourage the girl to come in heat...we just hang the rag in the girls pen and watch to see who becomes friendly with it lol

OR you can come get one of my Lamancha bucks...we have three left that are registered..including my avatar : )

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
lol...not a bad trip at all lol...

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I would just use the Togg. Get her bred and make sure she stays bred. I would start the process now if you are concerned that she is cystic or something. Then next year, do your purebred breeding when your little guy is older and more mature.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would use the Togg also. I had my boss doe tell a young buck (who had successfully bred two younger does )that he wasn't allowed to breed last fall, and he didn't breed anyone after he was turned into that pen. No one. I ended up selling him and replacing him so I don't know if it was a permanent thing with him. But, if your little guy is at all timid, a bully doe could be harmful to his confidence. Or, I would use the Togg as a teaser and hold the doe for the young buck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Last year my Head doe refused to be bred by the smaller buck, she actually CLOSED the door really tight when he mounted her. It was kind of funny!!! Some of my gals are Ho's and will let anyone do them!
If you do sell the Togg before she comes into heat, wipe the rag on him and put it in a zip lock bag until she comes into heat, then wipe it on JR.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would at least attempt a breeding with the nubian buck. You have quite a few months of breeding time to see if he and she can make it work before resorting to cross breeding

Also letting her see the boy she wants while the other breeds her is also an option as stated. I hold troublesome does

·
14,760 Posts
I agree I'd try with the Nubian buck first if you want purebred babies.

IMO if she is mean to him, then I would hand breed her. When she is in standing heat, put her on a halter/collar/lead and hold her for him. Might need some help but it can work.
The last buck we had was almost 6mo <boer> when we got him and the girls were mean to him, especially our herd queen.
He was very intimidated and afraid to do more than just stand by her. It didn't help that he was just a tiny bit short and needed to stand on something to reach the girls lol
Anyway, we put a lead on them, and handbred 3 adult does to him, and they all conceived just fine.

·
1,524 Posts
A lot of older does prefer older, mature bucks for breeding. In the wild, only the older experienced, strong bucks would breed the does. Instinct is strong and still shows up in some does. My queen refused the young Lamancha buck in favor of the older Nubian last year. I had to restrain her in order to get her bred to the LM, sort of like in a set of crossties with a wall on 1 side and me on the other holding her still.

Other breeders will tie a doe to a fence with the "beloved" buck in front to flirt while the buck the owner wants to breed her to breeds her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts