Doe Scouring

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Jan 14, 2009.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Ok, so Lucy kidded on 1/9. On that day we put her up in a stall and she has been there since. I gave her some calcium selenium gel that day. The next day I wormed her with ivermectrin, gave her some calcium selenium gel and put sav-a-caf electrolytes in her water. Ken called me and told me she's been scouring since yesterday. He gave her some probiotics. Whe he changed the water he did not put the electrolytes back in.

I'm just not sure what's causing this. Any ideas?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Have no idea what causes this in her case but if you have some pepto go ahead and give her about 3 cc.
    Maybe get the electrolytes back in her water?
    When my Boer does kid they get warm molasses water for a couple of days.
    Hope she pulls out of this quickly!
    That seems like a long time to be seperated from the rest of the herd even after kidding...
    If nothing else some sulfadinethoxine 12.5% from your vet at the rate of iml pr 5lb the first dose & day 2-5 1ml per i0lb.
    If you mix it with a little pepto it will go down easier.Please keep us updated.

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    She's still in the stall because its been cold and rainy the past few days. we'd rather the kids be put up than risk them getting cold and wet.

I thought the electrolytes should stay in her water and told Ken to put some in tomorrow. and I'll tell him about the pepto.

And the nearest vet that knows anything about goats is two hours away, so getting the other thing might be rough. ><

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    You should be able to get the sulfa at your local feed store or farm center. Albon is sulfadimethoxine 12.5%, but Sulmet is 12.5% sodium sulfamethazine. I believe Albon is a pill and expensive vet/Jeffers item, Sulmet is a liquid and about $8/pint. Both are used for cocci. Mix the Sulmet with something sweet as its got a really nasty taste ( How do I know this?????).

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what color is the scours?
    If it is dark black colored, it may very well be cocci...
    I would take in a stool sample and have it tested for cocci and worms...

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she still scouring? how bad is it - watery or just clumpy? I find that my girls can get loose stools after kidding and it goes away in a couple days.

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I've been up at school so I haven't seen her in person in a week. Ken said she was still scouring but acting fine otherwise. He started her on a round of antibiotics to be safe.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what kind of antibiotics?