Doe sick after late abortion:Metritis?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sandoval, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sandoval

sandoval New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Hi,
    Yesterday one of my does had birth to quads 2 weeks before the due date. I saw her when she was expelling the placenta. The kids looked full term and normal but were dead. It seems like they were born alive because they had rigor mortis. A part of the placenta smelled bad. I started her on 1/5 cc Penicillin 2 times a day. Today she looks quiet and has been laying down most of the day. I observed a few contractions as if she was in labor. She is discharging a little blood as normal and it smells OK. She is eating but not too much. She was in great condition and had her B0-se and copper.
    Why would the placenta smell bad? She was scared by a loose dog the day before and I wonder if this caused the abortion. Could she have metritis? What else could I do for her?
    Thank you,
    Cris

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Penicillin should be dosed at 1cc per 15 lbs and do it twice a day. So you have way underdosed her. If the placenta smelled, then the kids were dead in the womb for at least a couple of days. I wouldn't think the dog scaring her would do it unless she somehow got rammed in her side but certainly can't say for sure.

I would take her temp. I would also immediately give her more Penicillin but at the correct dosage. She may need to see a vet. She could go downhill quickly now that she is starting to not be interested in food.

Also give her some B Complex and Probios. Probably wouldn't hurt to consult a vet.

3. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    Like Ksalvagno a higher dosage of Penicillin is needed. Is it Procain G?

4. sandoval

sandoval New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Thank you for the correct dose. She is more sedentary today but still eating leaves. Some pink tissue is coming out. She is still having contractions.

5. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    She may need to be flushed.

6. sandoval

sandoval New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Here is an update from the vet. He suggested 6 ml penicillin and 6 ml Gentamicin. That means I am not milking her for an year.
    I asked about uterine flushing and he said that it has been 2 days so her uterus is already shrunk down so it would be more complicated. He also suggested 1 cc oxitocin but I didn't give her because she is contracting by herself. I am afraid that it could hurt her already fragile uterus.
    She is still cramping and releasing small bits of pink tissue. She is still nibbling but not like her typical gigantic appetite.
    Questions: Is Gentamicin OK for dairy goats? Any other alternative?
    Can flushing be done after 2 days? If so, how would I do it?
    Thank you,
    Cris

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Personally, I would use only the Pen G dosed at 1cc per 20lbs 2x a day for 7 days...... But if your vet is one who is goat smart and trusted, go with his/her directions

Probiotics and a daily dose of B Complex would also be something I'd give.... I've not had to do a uterine flush, even after my doe had a full term still birth and delivered a mummified kid 2 days later, she cleaned out normally and I milked her 3x a day to help stimulate uterine contractions... I didn't use the milk due to the Pen G during her treatment or for a week after due to my hubby having a Penicillan allergy.